Link

Social

Embed

Download

Download
Download Transcript

>> WELL, LET ME WELCOME

[2. Call meeting to order;]

[00:00:02]

EVERYBODY TO THE WOODLANDS TOWNSHIP BOARD OF DIRECTORS MEETING.

WE'RE GOING TO START WITH AN INVOCATION, AND DIRECTOR MILNER,

[1. Invocation / Pledge of Allegiance;]

IF YOU WOULDN'T MIND PROVIDING US WITH PRAYER.

>> PLEASE JOIN US IN PRAYER.

FATHER, WE COME TO YOU TONIGHT AND WE ASK FOR YOU TO WATCH OVER US, LEAD US, GUIDE US IN OUR THOUGHTS, GUIDE US IN OUR DECISIONS, AND GUIDE US IN THE DIRECTIONS THAT WE TAKE TONIGHT.

GIVE US WISDOM TO REPRESENT NOT ONLY YOUR WILL, BUT THE VOICE OF THE COMMUNITY IN THE DECISIONS THAT WE MAKE TONIGHT.

I PRAY THAT YOU WOULD BE WITH ALL OF OUR MEDICAL WORKERS, OUR FIRST RESPONDERS, OUR FRONTLINE WORKERS WHO ARE STILL OUT THERE EVERY DAY BATTLING THIS COVID-19 VIRUS, PROTECTING PEOPLE AND SAVING PEOPLE AND DOING EVERYTHING THEY CAN TO MAKE OUR COUNTRY SAFER.

I PRAY THAT YOU WOULD BE WITH THE LEADERS OF OUR COUNTRY, OF OUR STATE, OUR CITY, AND LOCAL GOVERNMENTS, THAT YOU WOULD LEAD AND GUIDE THEM TO MAKE RESPONSIBLE DECISIONS, INFORMED DECISIONS THAT WILL NOT ONLY HELP BRING OUR COUNTRY BACK TO THE ECONOMIC RECOVERY, BUT PROVIDE A PLATFORM TO ALSO PROTECT THOSE WHO NEED TO BE PROTECTED.

I ASK YOU TO LEAD US AND GUIDE US TONIGHT AND ASK THIS IN YOUR HOLY NAME, AMEN.

>> AMEN.

>> NOW, WE DO THE PLEDGES TO OUR FLAGS.

>> I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, AND TO THE REPUBLIC FOR WHICH IT STANDS, ONE NATION UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.

>> OUR TEXAS FLAG.

>> HONOR THE TEXAS FLAG; I PLEDGE ALLEGIANCE TO THEE, TEXAS, ONE STATE UNDER GOD, ONE AND INDIVISIBLE.

>> THIS MEETING WAS POSTED 72 HOURS IN ADVANCE.

POSTING OCCURRED INSIDE THE BANNERS IN THE TOWNSHIP AT TOWN HALL AND WAS ALSO POSTED ONLINE.

THIS MEETING IS BEING HELD VIA VIDEO CONFERENCE IN ACCORDANCE WITH DECLARATIONS MADE BY TEXAS GOVERNOR, GREG ABBOTT, WHICH TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED CERTAIN REQUIREMENTS, THE TEXAS OPEN MEETING ACT, TO HELP REDUCE THE POTENTIAL TRANSMISSION OF COVID-19.

THE STATE LAW REQUIRES AT LEAST FOUR BOARD MEMBERS BE IN ATTENDANCE.

I'LL NOW TAKE A ROLL, DIRECTOR BROWN.

>> HERE.

>> DIRECTOR MILNER.

>> HERE.

>> DIRECTOR NELSON.

>> HERE.

>> DIRECTOR RIESER.

>> HERE.

>> THEN DIRECTOR SEKULA-GIBBS.

>> HERE.

>> THEN DIRECTOR SNYDER.

>> PRESENT.

>> ALL BEING PRESENT AND ACCOUNTED FOR,

[3. Receive, consider and act upon adoption of the meeting agenda;]

WE NEED A MOTION TO ADOPT OUR AGENDA.

>> CHAIR, I'LL MOVE.

>> SECOND.

>> ALL RIGHT.

ALL IN FAVOR SAY AYE.

>> AYE.

>> ANY OPPOSED? EXTENSIONS? WE HAVE AN AGENDA.

[4. Public comment;* ]

WE'RE ALSO HOLDING PUBLIC COMMENT VIA VIDEO CONFERENCE.

INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO CALL IN AND MAKE PUBLIC COMMENT WERE INCLUDED IN THE POSTING OF THE AGENDA.

WE'RE ASKING THAT EACH PERSON WHO CALLS IN LIMIT THEIR COMMENTS TO AROUND THREE MINUTES, AND WE WILL BE TAKING OUR CALLERS IN THE ORDER THEY ARE RECEIVED.

WE WILL START WITH OUR FIRST CALLER.

>> GOOD EVENING. THIS IS AMY LECOCQ AND I'M SPEAKING

>> WE CAN HEAR YOU.

>> OKAY. I'M SORRY, I THOUGHT AMY LECOCQ AND I'M SPEAKING TONIGHT ON BEHALF OF TOWNSHIP FUTURE, A NEWLY FORMED PACK TO CELEBRATE OUR TOWNSHIP VIBRANCY AND VISION THROUGH CIVIC ENGAGEMENT.

ONE OF OUR MISSIONS IS TO EDUCATE AND ADVOCATE ON KEY ISSUES IN THE WOODLANDS, AND THAT MISSION BRINGS ME TO SPEAK WITH YOU TONIGHT.

TOWNSHIP FUTURE AND OTHERS IN THE COMMUNITY HAVE EXPRESSED CONCERN OVER THE LACK OF TRANSPARENCY AND RESIDENT INPUT INTO THE RECENT DIRECTOR APPOINTMENT PROCESS.

NOT ONLY ONCE, BUT TWICE, A MAJORITY OF THE BOARD VOTED TO PROCEED DESPITE THE LACK OF TRANSPARENCY AND RESIDENT INPUT IN THE NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT PROCESSES.

IN RESPONSE, TOWNSHIP FUTURE HAS DRAFTED AND PROVIDED A PROPOSED POLICY FOR FUTURE VACANCIES ON THE BOARD THAT INCORPORATES AND ALLOWS FOR PUBLIC INPUT AND TRANSPARENCY INTO THE NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT PROCESSES THAT WAS LACKED IN THE INITIAL APPOINTMENT ATTEMPT AND THE SUBSEQUENT APPOINTMENT.

FOR EXAMPLE, TOWNSHIP FUTURE ADVOCATES FOR A PROCESS IN WHICH RESIDENTS MAY NOMINATE OTHER RESIDENTS OR EVEN THEMSELVES TO BE CONSIDERED FOR APPOINTMENT.

ALSO, WE PROPOSE THAT THE SAME FORM REQUIRED A RESIDENT TAKING TO BE

[00:05:01]

ELECTED TO A DIRECTOR POSITION BE NOTARIZED AND FILED BY ALL NOMINEES.

THIS WILL ASSURE THAT EACH CANDIDATE MEETS THE LEGAL MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO SERVE.

WE ALSO SUGGESTS THAT SINCE THERE WILL BE NO ELECTORAL CAMPAIGN, FIVE ADDITIONAL QUESTIONS BE ASKED OF EACH OF THE NOMINEES, COVERING AREAS OF BACKGROUND, EXPERIENCE, AND ALLOWING EACH NOMINEE TO SET FORTH HIS OR HER REASON OF WHY THEY SEEK TO SERVE AND WHAT SPECIAL SKILLS OR TALENTS THEY OFFER.

THE TOWNSHIP FUTURE PROPOSED POLICY ALSO REQUIRES THAT EACH NOMINEE SEEK APPOINTMENT BE PROVIDED THREE MINUTES AT A PUBLIC MEETING TO ADDRESS THE BOARD AND RESIDENTS AND TO ANSWER ANY QUESTION THAT THE DIRECTORS MAY HAVE FOR THEM.

THE POLICY PROVIDES OTHER DUE PROCESS FEATURES SUCH AS PUBLISHED NOTICE OF THE VACANCY ON THE WEBSITE AND THE NEWSPAPER, A TIMELINE FOR PROCEDURAL STEPS TO OCCUR, AND REFERENCE TO THE APPROPRIATE STATUTORY REQUIREMENTS FOR RECEIVING AND ACCEPTING FUTURE RESIGNATION LETTERS.

THIS POLICY HAS BEEN PROVIDED TO THE BOARD AND IT'S AVAILABLE AT TOWNSHIPFUTURE.ORG AND THE TOWNSHIP FUTURE FACEBOOK PAGE AND ON TWITTER.

IT IS OUR HOPE THAT THESE AND OTHER FEATURES OF THE POLICY WILL BE ACCEPTED TO PROVIDE THE FUTURE VACANCIES ARE FILLED BY AN ESTABLISHED AND ADOPTED PROCEDURE.

WE ARE HAPPY TO DISCUSS THE POLICY WITH THE BOARD, STAFF, OR ANY RESIDENTS WHO HAVE SUGGESTIONS TO IMPROVE UPON IT.

THANK YOU FOR ADDRESSING THIS ISSUE.

>> THANK YOU, AMY. WE'LL TAKE OUR NEXT CALLER.

>> THEN PROVIDED TO THE BOARD AND IT'S AVAILABLE AT TOWNSHIPFUTURE.ORG AND ACCOUNT FOR FUTURE FACEBOOK PAGE.

>> IS THERE A DELAY? DO WE HAVE ANOTHER CALLER ON THE LINE?

>>

>> OKAY. IF THERE ARE NO OTHER CALLERS, WE WILL CLOSE PUBLIC COMMENT AND MOVE TO AGENDA 5.

[5. Receive, consider and act upon proclamations; ]

RECEIVE, CONSIDER, AND ACT UPON PROCLAMATIONS.

WE HAVE FIRST PROCLAMATION, AND I BELIEVE IT'S GOING TO BE READ BY DIRECTOR JOHN ANTHONY BROWN.

>> THANK YOU, MR. CHAIRMAN.

I KNOW IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE YOU DONE ONE OF THESE.

UNFORTUNATELY, I GOT PUT ON A HOLD FOR THIS PARTICULAR ONE.

AS WE ALL KNOW, THE WOODLANDS TOWNSHIP IS HONORED TO HAVE SOME OF THE FINEST STUDENTS IN THE COUNTRY BOTH ACADEMICALLY AND ATHLETICALLY, AND SOMETIMES BOTH.

WE HAVE THE PRIVILEGE TO READ MANY PROCLAMATIONS THROUGHOUT THE YEAR FOR OUR STUDENT ATHLETES.

BUT TONIGHT, THE BOARD WOULD LIKE TO OFFER THIS PROCLAMATION FOR OUR MUSIC PROGRAM.

AFTERWARDS, THE WOODLANDS CHAMBER CHOIR WOULD LIKE TO OFFER THEIR EXPERIENCE AND GRATITUDE TO THE BOARD WHILE WE ENJOY THEIR AMAZING PERFORMANCE OF MY COMPANION.

SO I'LL GO AHEAD AND READ THIS PROCLAMATION.

"BE IT PROCLAIMED.

WHEREAS, OVER 160 CHOIRS APPLY TO BE A PERFORMING CHOIR AT THE TEXAS MUSIC EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION CONVENTION, AND OF THOSE, ONLY 13 WERE SELECTED; FOUR JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOLS, SEVEN HIGH SCHOOLS, AND TWO UNIVERSITIES.

WHEREAS, VARIOUS CHOIRS FROM THE WOODLANDS HIGH SCHOOL AND ITS FEEDER SCHOOL, MCCULLOUGH JUNIOR HIGH, HAD PREVIOUSLY BEEN INVITED TO SING AT TMEA ON FOUR DIFFERENT OCCASIONS, EACH TIME WITH A DIFFERENT DIRECTOR.

WHEREAS, THE WOODLANDS HIGH SCHOOL CHAMBER CHOIR RECEIVED THE PRESTIGIOUS HONOR TO SING AT THE TMEA CONVENTION THIS YEAR HELD ON FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 14TH, 2020 FOR THE FIRST TIME IN SCHOOL'S HISTORY.

WHEREAS, THE CHAMBER CHOIR IS A SMALL, HIGHLY SELECTED CHOIR DEDICATED TO CHORAL EXCELLENCE, AND WHOSE MAIN OBJECTIVE IS TO PREPARE AND PERFORM MUSIC FROM ALL MUSICAL TIME PERIODS.

WHEREAS, CHAMBER CHOIR MEMBERS UNDERGO A RIGOROUS AUDITION PROCESS THAT INCLUDES SINGING UNIVERSITY INTERSCHOLASTIC LEAD, CONCERT LITERATURE AND SIGHT-READING.

WHEREAS, IN ADDITION TO THEIR MEMBERSHIP IN THE CHAMBER CHOIR, THEY ARE ALSO MEMBERS OF THE VARSITY MIXED CHOIR, TREBLE CHOIR, AND MEN'S CHOIRS.

WHEREAS, THE WOODLANDS HIGH SCHOOL CHAMBER CHOIR HAS WON NUMEROUS BEST IN CLASS AND OVERALL OUTSTANDING AWARDS AT FESTIVALS THROUGHOUT TEXAS.

WHEREAS, THEIR SUCCESS WAS ACCOMPLISHED BY A TEAM OF TALENTED-DRIVEN, AND EXCEEDINGLY KIND STUDENTS INCLUDING: CAMILLE BROOKS, MELISSA CHOU, ANDREA CRUZ, DAVID DAVIDIAN, NICHOLAS DEVIA LUNA, JOHN FRYE,

[00:10:03]

EVE HARRIS, MADISON HEBERT, ALEXIS HOELLER, ELISE INCAVO, RAJIV IYER, SYDNEY JENNINGS, ALAN JONES, JACKSON KOLTERJAHN, BROOKE LADEN, LANDON LANEY, LIZZIE MARLOW, IAN MONTEZ, KENNETH MOPARTY, LINDSAY MOYNIHAN, BILL NOWLIN, NATHAN ODENBACH, NICK PIRKLE, MERCER SADLIER, VICTORIA SMITH, JUDE THOMPSON, SHAMA TIRUKKALA, ARTUR TROSCHKO, KATELIN WELSH, AND DEVON WENDLE.

WHEREAS, THE RESULTS OF THESE EFFORTS WERE ENHANCED BY THE GUIDANCE OF CHOIR DIRECTOR PATRICK NEWCOMB AND ASSISTANT CHOIR DIRECTORS MELISSA NEWHOUSE AND STEPHANIE COOKE.

SO NOW THEREFORE, ON BEHALF OF GORDY BUNCH AS CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS OF THE WOODLANDS TOWNSHIP, DO HEREBY PROCLAIM THURSDAY, MAY 21ST, 2020 AS THE WOODLANDS HIGH SCHOOL CHAMBER CHOIR DAY." NICK, I BELIEVE IS GOING TO PUT ON OR SOMEONE IS GOING TO PUT ON A WONDERFUL PERFORMANCE THAT THE WOODLANDS CHAMBER CHOIR DID IN A SHORT VIDEO.

>> THANK YOU, JOHN.

YES, ABSOLUTELY.

>> DO WE NOT DOWNLOAD THIS?

>> IF WE NEED EVERYBODY TO MUTE, THAT MIGHT HELP.

>> I THINK YOU HAVE TO DOWNLOAD IT FROM ONEDRIVE IN ORDER TO HEAR THE SOUND.

>> THE SOUND IS HERE.

IT'S JUST NOT COMING THROUGH SOMEHOW THE SCREENING, BUT WE'RE GOING TO TRY TO WORK IT OUT.

OKAY. WE'VE TRIED THE DOWNLOADED VERSION AND THE STREAMING VERSION, WE'RE NOT GETTING SOUND ON EITHER VERSION RIGHT NOW.

WE CAN TRY TO COME BACK TO THIS LATER IN THE MEETING IF WE COULD FIGURE OUT A WAY TO MAKE IT WORK OR WE CAN BRING IT BACK TO A FUTURE BOARD MEETING, SO THEY GET THE ACKNOWLEDGMENT AND OPPORTUNITY TO PRESENT TO US WHAT THEY INTENDED.

[00:15:02]

SORRY ABOUT THAT, JOHN.

WE'LL BRING IT BACK WHEN WE CAN MAKE THE TECHNOLOGY WORK OR HAVE THEM IN-PERSON AT A FUTURE MEETING.

OKAY. WE'LL GO TO AGENDA ITEM 6.

[ CONSENT AGENDA]

PROCEED CONSENT OR ACT UPON OUR CONSENT AGENDA.

ITEMS A THROUGH E. 6A THROUGH 6E OR 6A THROUGH 6F.

DO WE HAVE A MOTION TO APPROVE THE CONSENT AGENDA?

>> MOVE TO APPROVE THE CONSENT AGENDA.

>> SECOND.

>> SECOND.

>> ALL RIGHT. ALL IN FAVOR SAY AYE AND RAISE YOUR HAND SO WE CAN SEE.

>> AYE.

>> AYE.

>> AYE.

>> ANY OPPOSITION? ANY ABSTENTION? WELL, THEN THE CONSENT AGENDA WILL CARRY.

ALL RIGHT. LET ME GIVE OUR AGENDA ITEM NUMBER 7.

[7. Receive, consider and act upon emergency authorities related to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemic, and authorizing the President/General Manager to act in connection therewith;]

WE PROCEED CONSIDER AND ACT UPON EMERGENCY AUTHORITIES RELATED TO CORONAVIRUS EPIDEMIC AUTHORIZING THE PRESIDENT AND GENERAL MANAGER TO ACT IN CONNECTION THEREWITH.

WE WILL START WITH DON, I THINK.

BUT I DON'T THINK DON HAS MORE TO PRESENT TONIGHT.

>> MR. CHAIRMAN, THAT'S RIGHT.

I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE CHRIS NUNES UPDATE THE BOARD FROM THE LAST MEETING.

GIVING SOME ADDITIONAL INFORMATION, ON FACILITIES THAT ARE PROPOSED TO BE OPEN AND THEN GIVING BOARD FEEDBACK ON SOME OF THE QUESTIONS THAT WE HAVE.

THEN I BELIEVE, MR. CHAIRMAN, YOU HAVE A PRESENTATION ALSO THIS EVENING.

>> YEAH. MINE IS SUPER SMALL, SO WE CAN START WITH DR. NUNES.

>> OKAY. THANK YOU.

>> THANK YOU, CHAIRMAN BUNCH AND BOARD DIRECTORS.

KAREN, DO YOU HAVE THE PRESENTATION UP? THANK YOU VERY MUCH, WE WILL TRY TO MAKE THIS FAIRLY QUICK AND GET TO THE MEAT OF THE PRESENTATION. NEXT SLIDE.

WE REVIEWED THIS ITEM A COUPLE OF TIMES ALREADY, THE APRIL 23RD, 30TH AND LAST WEEK.

SINCE THAT TIME, WE'VE HAD ANOTHER EXECUTIVE ORDER FROM THE GOVERNOR.

HE PROVIDED A FAIR AMOUNT OF DIRECTION ON A NUMBER OF OUR AMENITIES AND PROGRAMS AND SERVICES THAT WE OFFER. NEXT SLIDE.

THE BIGGEST CHANGES THAT WE SAW WERE GROUP SIZES GOING FROM 4-10, WHICH ENABLES US TO ADD WHEN WE OPEN MORE FACILITIES.

EXERCISE FACILITIES ARE STILL AT 25 PERCENT, OUTDOOR SWIMMING POOLS ARE STILL AT 25 PERCENT.

IT TALKS ABOUT GROUPS BEING LARGER THAN 10 AGAIN, ALSO ENCOURAGES THE WATER PARKS AND SPLASH PADS NOT TO BE OPENED OR PEOPLE SHOULD AVOID THEM.

YOUTH SPORTS. I KNOW I HAVE BEEN SPENDING A FAIR AMOUNT OF TIME SINCE LAST WEEK AND ESPECIALLY SINCE MONDAY TALKING TO ALL OUR PREVIOUS YOUTH ORGANIZATIONS ABOUT BRINGING PRACTICES BACK ONLINE ON MAY 31ST AND JUNE 15TH HAVING GAMES.

THE GOVERNOR PROVIDED SOME DIRECTION ON YOUTH PROGRAMS AND SUMMER CAMPS. NEXT SLIDE.

OVER ALL, THE REMAINDER OF THIS PLAN TALKS ABOUT BASING A LOT OF OUR PROGRAMS AND SERVICES BASED ON 10 PEOPLE IN GROUP SIZE AND LEVERAGING THE FACILITY CAPACITY PERCENTAGES, WHICH RIGHT NOW ARE 25 PERCENT.

NEXT SLIDE. YOU'LL REMEMBER IN PHASE 1, WE OPENED A NUMBER OF THE PARKS WITH SOME LIMITATIONS.

TENNIS COURTS WITH MODIFICATIONS, WE OPENED THE RESTAURANTS AND WE ALSO ADDRESSED COMMUNITY GARDENS.

IN REVISED PHASE 1, WHICH IS THE NEXT SLIDE.

STAFF IMPLEMENTED AND AUTHORIZED THE ROB FLEMING PARK AND TOWN GREEN PARK TO BE OPENED.

WE OPENED UP ALL THE TENNIS COURTS, WE ALSO HAVE A PROGRAMMING ON IT RIGHT NOW.

A NUMBER OF SEMI-PRIVATES AND PRIVATE LESSONS, BASKETBALL COURTS, WE PUT ONE RIM UP PER COURT.

DOG PARKS WERE OPENED AND THE DOG PARK COMMUNITY WERE VERY PLEASED ABOUT THAT.

WE MADE SOME MODIFICATIONS TO THE DISC GOLF COURSES AND THE COMMUNITY GARDENS AGAIN.

NEXT SLIDE, PLEASE. WHAT WILL BE IMPLEMENTING OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS.

THAT IS AS THE STAFF WILL BE IMPLEMENTING OVER THE NEXT FEW DAYS IS WE'LL BEGIN TO OPEN UP THE SPORTS COMPLEXES.

SO BEAR BRANCH, GOSLING, AS WELL AS ALDEN BRIDGE.

WE'LL BE PUTTING THE NEXT BACKUP ON THE VOLLEYBALL COURTS, WE'LL BE PUTTING THE REMAINING RIMS BACK IN THE BASKETBALL COURTS, BEAR BRANCH SKATE PARK WILL BE OPENED AND WE WILL OPEN FULLY THE COMMUNITY GARDENS BECAUSE THERE WILL BE NO MORE MODIFICATIONS.

NEXT SLIDE PLEASE, KAREN.

ALSO, WE'LL BE WORKING AT THE SPORTS COMPLEXES AS MENTIONED,

[00:20:01]

WE WILL HAVE NO RESERVATIONS.

WE'LL BE TALKING ABOUT RESERVATIONS A LITTLE BIT LATER IN THE PRESENTATION, WE'LL BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.

NO GROUPS GREATER THAN 10, SO WE'LL BE HAVING A FAIR AMOUNT OF SIGNAGE ON THOSE PARKS TO TRY TO ENCOURAGE PEOPLE NOT TO HAVE LARGE SOCCER GAMES WITH SMALLER SOCCER GAMES.

REMEMBER, SOME OF THESE SOCCER FIELDS ARE 97,000 SQUARE FEET, SO MORE THAN 10 PEOPLE CAN GET ON A FIELD ONCE.

WE JUST WANT THE GROUPS TO BE APART FROM EACH OTHER.

WE'VE ALSO WORKED WITH THE APPROVED ORGANIZATIONS HAVING A MODIFIED PRACTICE PLAN.

TEN OR LESS WHEN IT RELATES TO SKILLS AND DRILLS PROGRAM.

PRACTICES WOULD START JUNE 1.

ON JUNE 15TH, WE WOULD START GAMES.

WE'VE BEEN IN CONTACT EXTENSIVELY WITH DYNAMO DASH.

FOUR DIFFERENT LACROSSE CLUBS, A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT RUGBY CLUBS ON THIS.

I BELIEVE IN YOUR FILE, THERE WAS A PLAN THAT DYNAMO DASH DEVELOPED ON HOW THEY ARE TAKING THIS ISSUE OF DISTANCING AND SANITATION AND CLEANLINESS SERIOUSLY AT THE COACH LEVEL, AT THE PARENT LEVEL, AND AT THE PLAYER LEVEL.

ACTUALLY, THEY'VE BEEN VERY GOOD.

THE OTHER SPORTS ORGANIZATIONS ARE ACTUALLY MODELING THEIR INFORMATION AFTER DYNAMO DASH'S AND WE'RE WORKING WITH THEM ON THAT.

NEXT SLIDE. A COUPLE OF REMAINDER ITEMS INCLUDE THE RECREATION CENTERS, THE CLASSES GET BUMPED UP TO 10 SIZE FROM FIVE JUST FROM LAST WEEK.

WE ALSO LOOKING AT PUTTING OUR ADULT LEAGUES ON.

CONTRACTED LAP LANES HAVE BEEN UNDERWAY SINCE 5/18 AND WE ARE PROJECTING THAT WE WILL START OUR SWIM LESSON PROGRAM ON JUNE 8TH. RIVA ROW BOAT HOUSE, EFFECTIVE TOMORROW WILL GO FROM RESERVATIONS FROM 4-8.

AS OF YESTERDAY, WE HAD 978 RENTALS, SO FAR, WHICH EQUATES TO ABOUT 1,640 PEOPLE THROUGH THE BOAT HOUSE OVER THE COURSE OF 10 DAYS.

SO WE'RE VERY PLEASED BY THOSE NUMBERS.

AT TEXAS TREEVENTURES, WE'LL BEGIN STAFF HIRING AND TRAINING AND WE'RE PROJECTING TO OPEN UP ON JUNE 6TH, WHICH IS A COUPLE SATURDAYS FROM TODAY. NEXT SLIDE.

WANTED TO PROVIDE A VISUAL OF WHAT IS OPENED AND WHAT IS TO BE OPENED AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE.

YOU CAN SEE HOW WE'VE GONE FROM PHASE 1, REVISED PHASE 1, PHASE 2 AND PROJECTED PHASE 3, NOW THAT MOST OF YOUR PARK INFRASTRUCTURE IS OPEN.

GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE, PLEASE.

AS WE GO INTO THE OTHER FACILITIES LIKE THE AQUATICS AND TEXAS TREEVENTURES AND THE RECREATION CENTERS, YOU CAN SEE THE PHASES OF WHERE THINGS ARE OPEN, WHERE THINGS HAVE MODIFIED OPENS, WHERE THINGS ARE PENDING, WHICH IS REALLY THE PUBLIC SWIM, WHERE WE ARE IN TRAINING OR STILL IN A PENDING STAGE.

NEXT SLIDE. WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR FROM BOARD REVIEW, THESE WERE THE ITEMS THAT YOU REQUESTED TO BRING US BACK, WHICH WAS THE PLAYGROUNDS.

THE CDC HAS NOT CHANGED THEIR OVERALL RECOMMENDATION.

HOWEVER, THEY DID MODIFY SOME OF THEIR INFORMATION THAT THEY WERE PROVIDED ABOUT HOW THIS VIRUS IS SPREAD.

THEY STILL BELIEVE IT IS SPREAD VIA DROPLETS, BUT THEY LESSENED THEIR APPROACH ON SURFACE SPREAD.

SO BEING, TOUCHING RAILS, STEPS, THE THINGS THAT YOU WOULD TOUCH ON A NORMAL PLAYGROUND.

NRPA, I HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE FINAL NUMBER BACK, THAT'S PROJECTED TO COME OUT ON FRIDAY.

BUT WHEN I CALLED NRPA, THEY SAID THE MAJORITY OF THE PLAYGROUNDS ARE CLOSED THROUGHOUT THE UNITED STATES.

WE ARE GETTING SOME SEVERE RESONANT INPUT ON THIS AND IT'S MIXED.

WE'RE SEEING PEOPLE OUT IN THE PARKS THAT ARE ON THE PLAYGROUNDS, WE EDUCATE THEM ABOUT WHY THEY SHOULD OR SHOULD NOT BE ON IT, BUT WE CAN'T BE AT 90 DIFFERENT SITES AT ONCE.

SO THE RECOMMENDATION AT THIS TIME IS BASED ON SOME OF THOSE CHANGING THINGS FROM THE CDC ABOUT SERVICE SPREAD IS TO OPEN THE PLAYGROUNDS AND INSTALL SIGNS THROUGHOUT THE SYSTEM, VERY SIMILAR TO THE ONES THAT WE INSTALLED LAST WEEK WITH THE DOG PARKS ABOUT USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, HAND SANITATION, WASHING YOUR HAND, SANITIZER, AND OF COURSE, ENCOURAGING SOCIAL DISTANCING. NEXT SLIDE.

THIS A LITTLE BIT RELATES TO AGENDA ITEM 9, WHICH IS ABOUT POOL FEES.

BUT AT A HIGH LEVEL, WE ARE LOOKING AT OPENING THE POOLS AT A 25 PERCENT BATHER LOAD.

WE CONFIRMED THAT WE HAVE ABOUT A 103 LIFEGUARDS THAT

[00:25:03]

ARE READY TO GO AND FINISH THEIR TRAINING.

WE WILL LOOK AT OPENING UP ALDEN BRIDGE, SAWMILL, CREEKWOOD, FORESTGATE, BEAR BRANCH, AND WENDTWOODS.

SO THE NUMBERS NEXT TO THAT ARE WHAT COULD BE AT A POOL BASED ON THE 25 PERCENT BATHER LOAD.

SO ALDEN BRIDGE, 97 PEOPLE.

BASICALLY, THE TOTAL BATHER LOAD IS JUST UNDER 400 AND SO ON.

IF TRAINING LIMITATIONS ARE LIFTED, THEN WE HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO HIRE ADDITIONAL GUARDS AND OPEN ADDITIONAL POOLS.

WE WILL NEED SOME ADDITIONAL GUARDS ANYWAY BECAUSE NATURALLY THROUGH THE POOL SEASON HAVE ATTRITION, ESPECIALLY TOWARDS LATE JULY AND EARLY AUGUST AS SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO GO BACK ON.

NEXT SLIDE. HERE'S YOUR CURRENT FEE STRUCTURE.

I WANTED TO INCLUDE THIS SO EVERYBODY IS AWARE.

THIS FEE STRUCTURE WAS APPROVED BY THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS AT THEIR LATE AUGUST BOARD MEETING, AND THIS WAS THE DIRECTION IN JANUARY AT THE TIME TO PROCEED WITH THE SAME FEE STRUCTURE.

THIS WAS ALL BEFORE COVID-19, BUT I JUST WANTED TO PRESENT THAT FOR YOU, GIVE THAT AS A HIGH-LEVEL INFORMATION. NEXT SLIDE.

WHEN DISCUSSING SEASON PASSES VERSUS DAILY ADMISSIONS, WHICH WAY YOU WANT TO PROVIDE DIRECTION THIS YEAR, I THINK WHAT WE NEED TO LOOK AT IS, THIS IS MORE OF PROS AND CONS APPROACH OF JUST PROVIDING THE BOARD SOME IDEAS ON WHAT TO THINK ABOUT WHEN SETTING A FEE OF WHAT IS THE CURRENT COSTS OF THE SEASON PASS.

RIGHT NOW, THE MAIN PASS IS $40, AND THAT PROVIDES YOU ACCESS, WHETHER BE SIX POOLS OR 14 POOLS VERSUS A DAILY FEE.

WE KNOW WE ACKNOWLEDGE THAT WE HAVE A LIMITED NUMBER OF POOLS THIS YEAR, THIS SHORTENED SEASON.

THERE IS NO PRESEASON.

I WOULD SAY THAT WE ARE JUST A COUPLE DAYS, WE'RE PROJECTING THAT WE WOULD BE OPENED THE FIRST SATURDAY IN JUNE, WHICH HONESTLY IS JUST ABOUT FIVE DAYS LESS THAN WHAT THE NORMAL REGULAR SEASON WOULD BE.

WE DO HAVE SOME POTENTIAL FOR CLOSURE.

WE DON'T KNOW IF THE GOVERNOR WILL GO FROM 25 PERCENT BACK TO ZERO.

WE ALSO DON'T KNOW IF THE GOVERNOR WILL GO FROM 25 PERCENT CAPACITY TO 50 PERCENT CAPACITY.

QUESTIONS THAT YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT TOO IS, DO SEASON PASS HOLDERS POTENTIALLY SUPERSEDE DAILY ADMISSIONS? HOW WOULD THAT WORK THE LOGISTICS FOR THE GUARDS AT THE FRONT GATE? WOULD REFUNDS BE ISSUED IF POOLS NEED TO BE CLOSED, GUARD SHORTAGE OR OTHER ISSUES ARISE? OF COURSE, DO DAILY ADMISSIONS MANAGE CAPACITY AS OPPOSED TO ANNUAL PASSES? SO THAT DAILY ADMISSIONS, EVEN IF YOU REDUCE IT A LITTLE BIT, THOSE PEOPLE WHO MIGHT BE COMING 10 TIMES A YEAR OR 15 TIMES A YEAR MAYBE PAYING MORE, MAYBE THEY NOW ARE NOT ABLE TO GO BECAUSE OF THEIR BUDGET IS STILL ON A $40 FEE.

NEXT SLIDE. SO THE RECOMMENDATION FROM THE MAY 14TH MEETING WAS TO PROCEED WITH A DAILY ADMISSION.

WHAT I'VE PROVIDED YOU IS A MODIFIED PROGRAM THAT WOULD BE ONLY EFFECT IN 2020, THAT WE WOULD ONLY HAVE DAILY PASSES.

THE VILLAGE POOLS WILL BE FIVE DOLLARS AND THE NON-RESIDENT FEE WOULD BE $10 MONDAY THROUGH FRIDAY AND $15 THROUGH SUNDAY.

I HAVE NOT PUT ROB FLEMING IN THERE BECAUSE IT'S REALLY TO BE DETERMINED IF WE WERE ABLE TO GET THE GUARDS, IF THE GOVERNOR LIFTS THE REQUIREMENTS ON THE WATER PARKS, THAT MIGHT BE MAYBE LITTLE TO REVIEW THAT AT A LATER POINT.

OTHER OPTIONS AT THAT BOARD COULD CONSIDER IS JUST GOING WITH ANNUAL PASSES AT THE FEE STRUCTURE THAT WE HAVE RIGHT NOW.

THE DAILY PASS ONLY HAVING THAT OR HAVING THE CURRENT FEE STRUCTURE, THE ANNUAL, DAILY, NON-RESIDENTS, AND THERE'S PROS AND CONS TO EACH OPTION AS WELL.

NEXT SLIDE. ONE OF THE LAST ITEMS WE WANT TO REVIEW WITH YOU IS SPECIAL EVENTS.

CURRENTLY, WE ALL ARE VERY EXCITED ABOUT RED, HOT AND BLUE EXTRAVAGANZA.

WE KNOW THAT WE MOST LIKELY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO DO THAT IN THE USUAL FORM, TRADITIONAL FORM.

THIS MAINTENANCE IS ABOUT $100,000 AND IT IS EXTENSIVE INFRASTRUCTURE ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE WATERWAY AND DOWN EVEN TO ROB FLEMING PARK.

WHAT WE'RE PROPOSING IS A CONCEPT THAT WOULD BE WHAT'S CALLED A DRIVE IN 4TH OF JULY FIREWORKS.

WE ARE WORKING WITH SOME STRATEGIC PARTNERS TO LEVERAGE LARGE PARKING LOTS IN CAMPUSES.

WE'RE WORKING ON APPROVALS AND CONCEPTS RIGHT NOW.

THE BUDGET WOULD BE ABOUT $150,000 AND THAT WOULD INCLUDE FOR FIREWORKS, SECURITY,

[00:30:01]

ADVERTISING, AND CLEAN UP, AND OF COURSE, WE WOULD BE REVIEWING SOME SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES.

NEXT SLIDE. THE OUTLINED THINGS THAT ARE NOT INCLUDED IN THIS POINT, OUR FACILITY RESERVATIONS.

WE ARE TARGETING RIGHT NOW JUNE 15TH FOR THE RAMP UP WITH PAVILION RESERVATIONS AND FIELD RESERVATIONS.

WE ARE ALSO WAITING FOR THE GOVERNOR TO MAYBE INCREASE THE SIZE OF GROUPS AND ALSO POOLS.

BUT FOR THE FACILITIES, WE DON'T HAVE A DATE ON THOSE.

AS I MENTIONED BEFORE, WE DO HAVE AN UNKNOWN OPENING IF WE WERE TO OPEN ROB FLEMING IN THE SPRAYGROUNDS AND WRITE DOWN THE SPECIAL EVENTS PERMITS. LAST SLIDE.

SO THE RECOMMENDATIONS ARE FOR THE BOARD TO CONSIDER RE-OPENING PLAYGROUNDS WITH SIGNAGE, "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK." IF THEY ARE WANTING TO IMPLEMENT A DAY PASS ONLY PROGRAM, HAVE A COURT HEARING NEXT WEEK TO MODIFY THE DAY PASS RATES ONLY FOR THE 2020 SEASON AND DISCONTINUE THE ANNUAL PASSES FOR THE 2020 SEASON.

TO CONTINUE WITH THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE 4TH JULY FIREWORK PROGRAM, THE DRIVE IN PROGRAM AND OF COURSE, THIS IS A BOILERPLATE TO GIVE THE PRESIDENT, GENERAL MANAGER AUTHORIZATION TO OPEN, CLOSE THE AMENITY AS NEEDED TO MAINTAIN THE SOCIAL DISTANCING AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS.

I KNOW THAT WAS A LOT OF INFORMATION OVER A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.

SO I'LL BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS OR COMMENTS.

>> DR. NUNES, CAN YOU HEAR ME?

>> YES, SIR.

>> GREAT. THE RECOMMENDATIONS LOOK GOOD TO ME OVERALL.

WE NEED TO THINK ABOUT THE POOL PASS SCHEDULE A LITTLE MORE DEEPLY.

I'D LIKE TO SEE LAKESIDE BOAT HOUSE OPENED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

THERE'S A LOT OF TRAFFIC STARTING TO ACCUMULATE DOWN AND USE LANDING.

I'D LOVE TO SEE THE WATER BIKES OUT THERE AND GET THE BOAT HOUSE BACK OPEN AS QUICKLY AS WE CAN.

BUT OVERALL, I THINK YOU'VE GOT A REALLY GOOD PLAN HERE.

I DO SUPPORT RE-OPENING THE PLAYGROUNDS WITH THE SIGNAGE, AND IF WE CAN PUT HAND SANITIZER STATIONS OUT THERE, EVEN BETTER, BECAUSE AS YOU SAY, PEOPLE ARE USING THEM NOW, AT SOME POINT, WE NEED TO BOW TO THE INEVITABLE ON SOME OF THIS STUFF.

I'M GLAD TO SEE THAT THE SKATEPARKS AND THE BASKETBALL RIMS ARE GOING BACK UP.

YOU'RE DOING A GOOD JOB, CHRIS, SHOOTING AT A RADICALLY MOVING TARGET.

>> GOOD AFTERNOON.

IT'S DR. SEKULA, I WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR PUTTING TOGETHER A GREAT PROPOSAL.

I'D LIKE TO CHIME IN WITH DIRECTOR RIESER THAT WE DO NEED TO TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT THE OPTIONS FOR POOL PASSES IN A SEASONAL BASIS, EVEN THOUGH THE SEASON MAY BE SHORTENED.

I THINK PEOPLE RECOGNIZE THE UNPREDICTABILITY OF THAT AND IF FOR SOME REASON THE GOVERNOR TERMINATES ALL POOLS, THEN I THINK THAT YOU JUST WRITE IT ON THE PASS THAT THAT'S IT, THAT THERE WON'T BE ANY REFUNDS BECAUSE IT'S TOO COMPLICATED AND TOO DIFFICULT TO DO.

I THINK THAT'S REASONABLE.

BUT THERE IS ENOUGH CLAMOR OUT THERE THAT PEOPLE WANT THEM.

I KNOW YOU MUST HAVE HEARD SOME OF THIS TOO THAT I THINK IT'S APPROPRIATE TO ACKNOWLEDGE THAT AND TO LET PEOPLE HAVE THAT OPTION OF BUYING A SEASON PASS, UNLESS YOU SEE THAT IT'S TOTALLY OUT OF THE QUESTION, AND OF COURSE, I'D LIKE TO HEAR THAT IF YOU DO.

BUT I THINK WE NEED TO AT LEAST GIVE PEOPLE THE OPPORTUNITY TO DO SO.

>> YEAH. I THINK THE FEEDBACK HAS BEEN PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO TAKE THE RISK ON BUYING THE PASS.

IF THEY'RE HEAVY POOL USERS, THEY'RE GOING TO KNOW THAT, ONE, THEY'RE BUYING A PASS WHEN THERE'S LIMITED POOL OPENINGS.

FOR SOMEONE TO PURCHASE, THEY'RE STARTING OFF WITH SIX POOLS, THEY MAY NEVER GET MORE THAN SIX POOLS.

I THINK IF WE HAVE CLEAR SIGNAGE IN THE SALES PROCESS THAT IF YOU'RE PURCHASING THE ANNUAL PASS, THERE'S NO GUARANTEE THE POOLS WILL BE OPENED THE ENTIRETY OF THE SEASON.

SUBJECT TO GOVERNOR'S ORDERS, COUNTY ORDERS, ALL THOSE VARIANCES THAT CAN OCCUR.

I AGREE THAT THE FEEDBACK I RECEIVED HAS BEEN PEOPLE ARE WILLING TO TAKE THE RISK ON BUYING A SEASON PASS, EVEN IF THEY DON'T GET EVERYTHING THEY NORMALLY WOULD GET.

>> YEAH. GO AHEAD, JASON.

>> YEAH. THE PEOPLE IN THE WOODLANDS DEFINITELY WANT TO GET BACK POOLSIDE AND I UNDERSTAND, IT'S 100 DEGREES.

[00:35:02]

DR. NUNES, I KNOW PEOPLE ARE WATCHING THIS PROBABLY AND ARE REALLY CONCERNED WITH WHAT WE DECIDE HERE ABOUT THE FEE STRUCTURE BUT, CAN YOU JUST GO AHEAD AND REMIND US THAT CAN COME INTO RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE NUMBER OF POOLS WE CAN OPEN VERSUS THE RESTRICTIONS ON TRAINING?

>> SURE. RIGHT NOW, GUARD TRAINING FOR THE WOODLANDS TOWNSHIP IS BASICALLY A 10-MONTH PROCESS, IT IS NOT A TWO WEEKS AND WE'RE GOING TO TRAIN 330 PLUS OR MINUS LIFEGUARDS.

ONCE WE START RELEASING THE GUARDS AT THE END OF THE SEASON, WHICH WILL BE SEPTEMBER OR OCTOBER, LITERALLY THAT DAY WE DO THAT, WE ACTUALLY START SENDING THE NEXT SEASON'S, "HEY, ARE YOU INTERESTED IN COMING BACK?" LETTERS. WE WILL HAVE TRAINING SESSIONS AS EARLY AS DECEMBER, JANUARY, FEBRUARY WHERE WE'RE GETTING THE KIDS GOING.

RIGHT WHEN WE HIT THAT STRIDE IN ONE OF THE BIG TRAINING WEEK FOR US IS MID-MARCH DURING THE COLLEGE SPRING BREAKS WHERE KIDS WOULD TRADITIONALLY COME BACK TO US AND DO TRAINING.

WE STARTED MISSING ALL OF THAT BECAUSE OF THE SOCIAL DISTANCING REQUIREMENTS BECAUSE OF THE AMERICAN RED CROSS REQUIREMENTS AS WELL.

SO WE ARE VERY FORTUNATE BECAUSE WE HAVE SO MANY POOLS, WE ALSO HAVE A LOT OF GUARDS THAT WANT TO COME BACK.

BECAUSE OF THE TRAINING REQUIREMENTS IN THE GUARD CERTIFICATION BEING TWO YEARS AND OUR GOAL IS PRETTY MUCH ABOUT 125 PLUS OR MINUS GUARDS COMING BACK EVERY YEAR, THOSE GUARDS DID COME BACK AND THAT'S WHAT OUR PLAN IS TO RE-OPEN.

ONCE THE SOCIAL DISTANCING REQUIREMENTS GET LIFTED A LITTLE BIT MORE, WE ARE ABLE TO POTENTIALLY, WITH BOARD APPROVAL, HIRE ADDITIONAL GUARDS FOR BACK FILL, ALSO POTENTIALLY HAVE THE ABILITY TO OPEN MORE POOLS IF THE BOARD WERE TO SEE FIT BUT WE'RE AT THAT CONSTANT NUMBER RIGHT NOW.

SO IT'S NOT JUST OPEN THE POOLS.

THE OTHER THING DIRECTOR NELSON IS, WE ARE DIFFERENT THAN SOME HOAS, DIFFERENT WHAT'S CALLED CLASSIFICATION OF POOLS.

SOME HOAS THERE'S NO GUARDS.

WELL, WE ARE A GOVERNMENTAL PROVIDER OF A POOL, WHICH WE HAVE DIFFERENT STANDARDS.

SO THEREFORE, WE NEED TO PROVIDE OUR GUARDS.

>> THANK YOU.

I SAW IN THERE THE LINE ABOUT GIVING PREFERENTIAL TREATMENT TO ANNUAL PASS HOLDERS OVER DAY PASS PEOPLE.

ONCE WE'VE SOLD SOMEBODY A DAY PASS, WE'VE ENTERED INTO A CONTRACT AND I DON'T BELIEVE THAT, THAT'S AN OPTION AT ALL.

MAYBE ROBIN CAN WEIGH IN ON THAT A LITTLE BIT.

>> WELL, I THINK IT'S OUR POLICY.

I AGREE WITH YOU, IF WE'RE SELLING THE SEASON PASS AND A DAILY PASS, PART OF THE DISCLOSURE ON THE SEASON PASS HOLDER IS IT DOESN'T PROVIDE YOU ANY MORE RIGHT TO THE USE OF THE FACILITIES THAN A DAY PASS HOLDER.

WE'RE SUBJECT TO THE LIMITATIONS THAT ARE IN PLACE AT ANY GIVEN DAY WHICH AT THE ONSET OF THE SALES IS LIKELY TO BE A 25 PERCENT CAPACITY RESTRICTION.

SO I THINK AS LONG AS WE'RE VERY CLEAR IN OUR SIGNAGE, THERE SHOULD BE A LIMITED REASON FOR OUR YOUNG LIFEGUARDS TO HAVE TO GET INTO A CONFLICT OVER WHEN CAN SOMEBODY ACCESS THE POOL OR NOT.

WE'RE GOING TO HAVE AN ISSUE WHEN THE 26TH PERCENTILE PERSON SHOWS UP, SO WE SHOULD HAVE SOME KIND OF ADVANCE COMMUNICATION ON SITE THAT ALLOWS FOR PEOPLE TO RECOGNIZE THAT IT IS WHAT IT IS.

>> DR. NUNES, IF I MAY.

ONE, THANK YOU FOR A VERY THOROUGH PRESENTATION.

MOST OF MY COMMENTS HAVE ALREADY BEEN ADDRESSED.

BUT I DO KNOW, A LOT OF THE LIFEGUARDS FROM PAST ARE NOW BACK HOME IN THE WOODLANDS WITH THEIR FAMILIES AND I'VE HAD PARENTS REACH OUT.

HAVE WE DONE SOME TYPE OF OUTREACH? IF SOMEONE WAS A LIFEGUARD TWO YEARS AGO OR A YEAR AGO OR PERHAPS THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO HAVE GONE THROUGH YOUR TRAINING THAT IT WOULD BE APPLICABLE TO REACH OUT ON OUR WEBSITE OR SOCIAL MEDIA TO HAVE THEM COME AND RE-APPLY?

>> THAT IS ACTUALLY A GOOD IDEA.

THE CHALLENGE IS THE LIFEGUARD CERTIFICATION IS ONLY A TWO-YEAR CERTIFICATION.

SO THOSE GUARDS THAT WERE CERTIFIED IN 2019, THEIR EXPIRATION DATE WOULD BE MAY OF 2021 TYPE OF THING.

WE'RE GETTING ALL THE YEAR 2'S BASICALLY, THAT WE CAN.

[00:40:03]

SO SOMEBODY THAT TOOK THE CLASS IN 2018 OR 2017 WOULD NO LONGER BE CERTIFIED UNLESS THEY JUST HAPPENED TO RESORT AT SOMEPLACE ELSE THAT WE DON'T KNOW OF.

>> THEY MAY HAVE AT A CAMP OR SOMETHING, IT'S JUST A THOUGHT.

BECAUSE I THINK THE DEMAND FOR USAGE OF OUR POOLS WILL BE PERHAPS HIGHER THAN IT HAS IN THE PAST.

I HAVE A QUESTION THAT I'VE ALSO HAD RESIDENTS ASK.

ONE, IF I GO IN THE MORNING WHEN THE POOL OPENS, MAY I STAY WITH MY FAMILY ALL DAY OR IS IT A TWO-HOUR OR FOUR-HOUR TIME FRAME, SO THAT MORE HAD THE OPPORTUNITY? MY SECOND QUESTION, IF YOU WOULD ADDRESS A NON-RESIDENTS AND WHY OUR POLICY AND JUST REFRESH ALL OF OUR MEMORIES THAT WE DISCUSSED LAST YEAR REGARDING A NON-RESIDENT PURCHASING PASSES.

>> SURE. I WILL ADDRESS THE FIRST QUESTION AND I WILL ASK ROBIN CROSS, THE TOWNSHIP ATTORNEY TO REVIEW WHAT WE LEARNED IN AUGUST OF LAST YEAR.

AT THIS POINT, YOU MAY MENTION OF A TWO-HOUR, FOUR-HOUR TIME LIMIT, WE'RE NOT ANTICIPATING THAT RIGHT NOW.

I THINK THAT IS ONE OF THE THINGS THAT WE WILL HAVE TO REVIEW.

IF IT DOES BECOME A PROBLEM, THEN WE WILL HAVE TO LOOK AT THAT, SOMETHING THAT WE DO AT TEXAS TREEVENTURES WHERE WE WILL PUT A CERTAIN COLOR BANDS ON A WRIST AND SAY, "OKAY.

IF YOU GET IN AT NOON, THOSE ORANGE BANDS RECALLED AT 2:00 AND SAY, "HEY, YOU GOT TO LEAVE." BUT I DON'T WANT TO START THAT RIGHT NOW, WE CAN ADDRESS THAT IF IT IS A NEED FROM THAT STANDPOINT.

WE DO KNOW THAT MOST PEOPLE WE'LL STAY ABOUT A TWO-HOUR TIME BLOCK, A LOT OF PEOPLE AT ROB FLEMING TYPICALLY ACTUALLY STAY LONGER, IS WHAT WE'VE SEEN.

TOTAL DATA OF THE AVERAGE STAY IS ONE HOUR AND TEN MINUTES, BUT JUST FROM HOW SEEING PEOPLE USE THE VILLAGE POOLS, IT'S A DIP, IT'S BEFORE DINNER, AFTER DINNER, BEFORE ANOTHER COMMITMENT OR AFTER ANOTHER COMMITMENT VERSUS ROB FLEMING WORKS.

PEOPLE ARE GOING THERE AS AN OUTING AND A DESTINATION.

>> THE RESIDENT VERSUS A NON-RESIDENT?

>> ROBIN, THAT'S YOU.

>> OKAY. SO BOARD AND DIRECTOR SNYDER, THE ISSUE I THINK, LAST YEAR RESIDENTS HAD TO DO WITH, CAN WE EXCLUDE RESIDENTS AND WE ARE NOT CONSTITUTIONALLY PERMITTED TO EXCLUDE BASED ON RESIDENCY UNDER THE PRIVILEGES AND IMMUNITIES CLAUSE OF THE US CONSTITUTION.

AS FAR AS THE OTHER ISSUE ON FEES AND WHAT WE COULD CHARGE RESIDENTS AS OPPOSED TO NON-RESIDENTS, I THINK WE DETERMINED AFTER SOME RESEARCH THAT WHAT WAS PERMISSIBLE WAS A TWO TIME RATE FOR NON-RESIDENTS.

ANYTHING BEYOND THAT SORT OF EITHER VIOLATED SOME OF THE GRANT PROGRAMS UNDER WHICH SOME OF THE POOLS WERE CONSTRUCTED OR COULD BE CONSIDERED TO BE DISCRIMINATION BASED ON RESIDENCY.

BUT I CAN PULL UP THE MEMO AND RESEND THAT TO YOU, BUT THAT, IN A NUTSHELL, IS MY RECOLLECTION OF LAST YEAR'S DISCUSSIONS.

>> I THINK IT'S PRUDENT THAT WE, AS RESIDENTS, KNOW THAT TO REFRESH OUR MEMORIES.

I KNOW THERE WAS LENGTHY DISCUSSION LAST AUGUST, BUT WITH LIMITED POOLS OPEN, THAT MAY BE A QUESTION THAT MANY OF OUR RESIDENTS HAVE.

>> WELL, THE ANSWER, I DON'T THINK CHANGES AND I DON'T THINK WE'RE ALLOWED TO TREAT RESIDENTS DIFFERENTLY BECAUSE OF A PANDEMIC AND EXCLUDE NON-RESIDENTS IN FAVOR OF RESIDENCE BASED ON, AGAIN, THE PRIVILEGES AND IMMUNITIES CLAUSE, IS PRETTY INVIOLATE AND NONE OF THE GRANT PROVISIONS OR THE PROVISIONS WHICH FOLLOW HAVE CHANGED OR BEEN SUSPENDED BECAUSE OF THE PANDEMIC.

[00:45:02]

SO THE LEGAL ANALYSIS IS STILL THE SAME, TWO TIMES THE RATE AND WE CANNOT EXCLUDE OR DISCRIMINATE AGAINST NON-RESIDENTS BASED ON RESIDENCY.

>> ALL RIGHT.

YES. GO AHEAD, BOB.

>> GO AHEAD.

>> I WAS ONLY GOING TO SUGGEST THAT WE COULD PROBABLY PUSH FORWARD AND APPROVE WHAT WE HAVE ON THIS AGENDA ITEM AND THEN MAYBE PICK UP THE POOL CONVERSATION ON THE POOL AGENDA ITEM, BECAUSE THAT'S GOING TO RELATE TO THE FEES AND EVERYTHING ELSE.

BUT GO AHEAD AND ASK YOUR QUESTION, DIRECTOR, WHEN WE'RE OVER HERE.

>> SO I HAD TWO QUESTIONS THAT CAME FROM RESIDENTS.

ONE, IF I BUY A DAILY PASS, AM I ABLE TO LEAVE AND COME BACK TO THE POOL THE SAME DAY? THE OTHER QUESTION I RECEIVED FROM QUITE A FEW RESIDENTS IS, IS THERE THE POTENTIAL FOR ANY CONSIDERATION FOR THE EXTENSION OF HOURS PAST SIX O'CLOCK TO ALLOW FOR THOSE WHO MAY WORK AND WANT TO TAKE THEIR CHILDREN TO THE POOL AFTER THEY GET HOME AND HAVE DINNER IF WE'RE ABLE TO TRAIN AND GROW OUR LIFEGUARD BASE?

>> YOUR FIRST QUESTION IS LEAVE AND COME BACK.

THAT IS YES. TYPICALLY, THEY'LL GIVE A PROOF OF RECEIPT.

IN TERMS OF EXTENSION OF HOURS, IT ALL DEPENDS ON GUARD AVAILABILITY.

IF YOU REMEMBER LAST WEEK, THERE WAS A CHART THERE WHICH BASICALLY INDICATED, I WANT TO SAY WE NEEDED 30 OR 40 MORE GUARDS TO PULL OFF A 10:00-8:00 SHIFT, NOT NECESSARILY A 12:00-8:00 SHIFT, BUT THAT'S SOMETHING THAT WE CAN EVALUATE AS GUARDS BECOME AVAILABLE, GUARDS ARE ABLE TO BE TRAINED IF IT WAS THE DESIRE OF THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS.

>> THANK YOU, DR. NUNES.

>> CHRIS, ONE LAST CLARIFICATION ON THIS ITEM.

IN YOUR ORIGINAL PRESENTATION, YOU HAD POOLS OPENING MID-JUNE, BUT THEN LATER IN THE PRESENTATION, YOU SAID SOMETHING ABOUT THE FIRST WEEKEND OF JUNE BEING OPENED?

>> YES. THERE WAS A LITTLE CONFLICT BETWEEN THE BUDGET PRESENTATION TWO HOURS AGO, I BELIEVE, IT'S THE SATURDAY, THE 5TH, OR 6TH AS THE FIRST DAY OPEN.

WE KNOW THROUGH SOCIAL MEDIA COMMENTS, E-MAILS TO US, E-MAILS TO THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS THAT THERE IS A CERTAIN SEGMENT OF OUR POPULATION THAT REALLY WANTS TO SEE THESE POOLS OPEN.

>> OKAY. I APPRECIATE THE CLARIFICATION.

NOW, CAN WE GO PULL BACK UP THE BOARD RECOMMENDATION SLIDES SO WE CAN GET A MOTION AROUND THAT.

I THINK THE ONLY MODIFICATION ON THIS WOULD BE THAT, I BELIEVE, THE CONSENSUS IS THAT WE WOULD WANT TO CONTINUE THE ANNUAL PASSES WITH DISCLOSURES.

SO DO WE HAVE A MOTION TO APPROVE THE RECOMMENDATIONS WITH THAT MODIFICATION?

>> SO MOVED.

>> OKAY, AND SECOND?

>> SECOND.

>> ALL RIGHT. ALL IN FAVOR.

NOW, I HAVE TO GET OFF THIS SCREEN SO WE CAN GO BACK TO SEEING EVERYBODY AGAIN, SORRY.

ALL IN FAVOR, RAISE YOUR HANDS AND SAY, "AYE."

>> AYE.

>> ANY OPPOSED? EXTENSIONS? ALL RIGHT.

WE'VE GOTTEN PARKS AND RECOMMENDATIONS APPROVED.

>> MR. BUNCH.

>> YES, SIR.

>> I JUST HAVE ONE QUESTION.

WHAT YOU JUST APPROVED IS WE WOULD HAVE THE ANNUAL PASSES AND WE WOULD MODIFY THE DAILY PASS.

>> THIS IS FINE. YES.

>> OKAY.

>> I KNOW WE HAVE AN AGENDA ITEM.

>> CORRECT. YES, SIR.

>> WHY DON'T WE DO THIS? CAN WE, AS A BOARD, AGREE TO MOVE UP AGENDA ITEM 9, WHICH DEALS WITH THE POOL FEES, AND THEN GO AHEAD AND TAKE THAT AND ADVANCE TO THE AGENDA ITEM 8?

>> YEAH.

>> NO OBJECTION THERE. SO LET'S SKIP AGENDA ITEM 8 AND GO AHEAD AND TAKE UP AGENDA ITEM 9,

[9. Receive, consider and act upon pool operations and fee schedule for the 2020 season (as requested by Director Rieser);]

WHICH DEALS WITH RECEIVE, CONSIDER AND ACT UPON POOL OPERATIONS FEE SCHEDULE FOR 2020 SEASON.

SO WE'VE GOT DR. NUNES HERE.

NOW, I THINK WE COULD ADDRESS THAT QUESTION BECAUSE I THINK IT'S GOING TO HAVE TO COME BACK FOR PUBLIC HEARING NEXT WEEK.

>> CHAIRMAN BUNCH, YOU ARE CORRECT, AS THIS IS A FEE THAT IS COVERED IN TOWNSHIP ORDER 020-09.

THOSE FEES ARE SUBJECT TO A PUBLIC HEARING.

FOR THE CLARIFICATION, THERE WILL BE NO CHANGES TO THE ANNUAL FEES, BUT FOR THE 2020 YEAR, THERE WILL BE CHANGES TO THE DAILY FEES AT VILLAGE SCHOOLS GOING FROM SIX DOLLARS TO FIVE DOLLARS,

[00:50:01]

AND THEN THE CORRESPONDING FEES FOR NON-RESIDENT DAY FEES, AGAIN, FOR THE 2020 SEASON.

>> I'M COMFORTABLE WITH THAT IF EVERYBODY ELSE IS.

SO WE HAVE A MOTION TO APPROVE THAT FEE SCHEDULE AS DESCRIBED BY DIRECTOR NUNES.

>> SO MOVED.

>> SECOND.

>> ALL IN FAVOR SAY, "AYE."

>> AYE.

>> ANY OPPOSED? EXTENSIONS? ALL RIGHT.

SO THAT'LL COME BACK TO US IN THE AGENDA ITEM FOR NEXT WEEK FOR A PUBLIC HEARING TO APPROVE THAT.

THANK YOU, DR. NUNES.

WE'RE GOING TO GO NOW BACKWARDS IN TIME TO AGENDA ITEM 8, RECEIVE,

[8. Receive, consider and act upon Board Policy in relation to Director replacement (as requested by Director Milner and Director Snyder);]

CONSIDER AND ACT UPON BOARD POLICY IN RELATION TO DIRECTOR REPLACEMENTS.

I'M SORRY. SHE'S RIGHT.

I CAN'T. I HAVE TO GO ALL WAY BACK, SORRY.

AGENDA ITEM 7, WE DID TAKE ACTION ON WITH DR. NUNES' PRESENTATION BUT WE SKIPPED OVER MY SMALL ONE.

SO REAL QUICK, I'LL GO AND DO THAT UPDATE.

THANK YOU, KAREN, FOR CATCHING ME.

IS WILLIAM GOING TO PULL IT UP OR DO YOU HAVE IT? YOU'VE GOT IT, OKAY.

ARE YOU ABLE TO MAKE THAT BIGGER? I JUST WANTED TO REAL QUICK SHOW THE UPDATES THAT HAVE OCCURRED WITH THE MODELING THAT'S PUBLICLY AVAILABLE.

I THINK IT HELPS FOR PERSPECTIVE FOR OUR RESIDENTS TO UNDERSTAND WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TEXAS AND OTHER STATES AND THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE.

SO ON THE FIRST SLIDE, WE'RE SHOWING THE DAILY INFECTION RATE AND TESTING PER 100,000 PEOPLE.

THIS IS ISOLATED ON APRIL 1ST.

IT ALSO SHOWS THE ESTIMATED NUMBER OF INFECTIONS BECAUSE WE WEREN'T ABLE TO TEST EVERYBODY AT ANY GIVEN TIME.

SO IN THIS SLIDE, IT SHOWS UP ON APRIL 1ST, THAT TEXAS HAD ABOUT 11.97 OF INFECTED PEOPLE PER 100,000 IN POPULATION IN CONTRAST TO NEW YORK, ON APRIL 1ST, HAD 362 PEOPLE PER 100,000.

NEXT SLIDE. UPDATES TO TODAY.

SO TODAY, TEXAS HAS 24 PEOPLE PER 100,000 ESTIMATED AS INFECTED.

NEW YORK HAS COME DOWN, AND THESE ARE DAILY INFECTION RATES, TO 27 AND THE UNITED STATES AS A WHOLE HAS 33. WE'LL GO TO THE NEXT SLIDE.

THE DAILY DEATHS PER 100,000 ON APRIL 1ST, TEXAS WAS AT 0.04 PER 100,000, THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE WAS AT 0.31, AND NEW YORK WAS AT 2.63 PER 100,000.

NEXT SLIDE, AND THEN AS OF TODAY, TEXAS IS AT 0.13 PER 100,000, VERSUS THE COUNTRY AVERAGE OF 0.42, VERSUS NEW YORK AT 0.86.

THE NEXT SLIDE, TOTAL PROJECTED DEATHS PER DAY APRIL 1ST, TEXAS 0.25, UNITED STATES 1.64, AND NEW YORK 13.15.

>> WOW.

>> NEXT SLIDE, AS OF TODAY, TOTAL DEATHS PER 100,000, TEXAS IS 5.3 PER 100,000, THE UNITED STATES AS WHOLE 29.57, AND NEW YORK 148.47.

I WANTED TO SHARE THIS INFORMATION BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE WONDERING AND ASKING, WHY ARE WE REOPENING TEXAS? WHAT'S SO SPECIAL ABOUT OUR STATE VERSUS THE COUNTRY VERSUS OTHER HOTSPOTS? SO I THINK THESE DATA POINTS ARE RELEVANT.

NEXT SLIDE. ON APRIL 1ST, THIS IS ABOUT HOSPITAL RESOURCES, WHICH IS REALLY WHAT WE WERE ALL TOLD EVERYTHING WAS ABOUT.

ON APRIL 1ST, THE NUMBER OF BEDS NEEDED PER 100,000 IN TEXAS WAS 1.74 BEDS PER 100,000, THE US AS A WHOLE, 9.9 BEDS PER 100,000, AND NEW YORK, 69.49 BEDS PER 100,000.

SO MAGNITUDES OF HIGHER NEEDS ACROSS THE COUNTRY IN NEW YORK SPECIFICALLY.

NEXT SLIDE, IF WE LOOK AT TODAY, TEXAS IS AT FIVE BEDS PER 100,000, THE US AS A WHOLE 12.76 BEDS PER 100,000, AND NEW YORK IS AT 16.92 BEDS PER 100,000.

[00:55:01]

NEXT PAGE. SO THIS IS OUR SETRAC REPORT.

WILL WE TO GO TO THE NEXT PAGE.

IT SHOWS THE UTILIZATION OF OUR GENERAL BEDS GOING BACK TO MAY 1ST THROUGH TODAY.

YOU CAN SEE, WE'RE STILL WELL BELOW THE GREEN LINE, WHICH IS THE AVAILABLE GENERAL BEDS, AND THEN WAY BELOW THE SURGE LINE OF RESOURCES.

NEXT SLIDE. ICU BED UTILIZATION.

AGAIN, NEVER HITTING OUR CAPACITY.

THIS IS THE 26 COUNTY REGION THAT WE ARE A PART OF AND NOT ANYWHERE NEAR SURGE CAPACITY.

NEXT SLIDE, VENTILATION USAGE, PEDIATRIC AND/OR ADULT.

WE'RE STILL NOT ANYWHERE NEAR OUR CAPACITY FOR THOSE REAL ASSETS.

THEN OUR NEXT SLIDE, AND THEN THE RELATED NUMBER OF COVID CASES IN BEDS, ICU IN GENERAL, FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS, GIVES YOU A PRETTY GOOD PICTURE OF WE'RE NOT OVERWHELMING THE NEXT SLIDE, THAT WAS IT.

I SAID I'D BE QUICK.

I HOPE THAT THE DATA POINT COMPARISON OF TEXAS VERSUS THE COUNTRY AVERAGE VERSUS THE NEW YORK AVERAGE WAS HELPFUL BECAUSE MOST OF THE MEDIA OUR RESIDENTS ARE CONSUMING ARE REALLY NORTHEAST-CENTRIC.

GOVERNOR CUOMO FOR TEXANS TO UNDERSTAND WHAT'S IT LIKE STATE-WIDE AND THEN WHAT'S IT LIKE LOCALLY.

SO IT HELPS SUPPORT SOME OF THE DECISIONS THAT ARE BEING MADE TO REOPEN THINGS AS WE HAVE A DRAMATICALLY DIFFERENT DATA POINT THAN THE COUNTRY AS A WHOLE AND NEW YORK, SPECIFICALLY.

THAT WAS ALL I HAD. ANY QUESTIONS ON THOSE SLIDES?

>> CHAIRMAN, I'LL SAY SOMETHING HERE AND MAKE IT QUICK AS WELL, IF I MAY.

I THOUGHT YOUR SLIDES WERE GREAT. CAN YOU HEAR ME?

>> I CAN HEAR YOU.

>> OKAY. THANK YOU. SLIDES WERE GREAT, VERY CLEAR, AND I WOULD JUST LIKE TO HIGHLIGHT THREE QUICK THINGS.

ONE IS THAT THE GOVERNOR HAS SHOT FOR 30,000 TESTS PER DAY, AND HE'S ALMOST THERE.

IN TEXAS, THAT'S WHAT HIS GOAL IS, AND TO COMMENSURATE WITH THAT, BOTH MONTGOMERY COUNTY AND HARRIS COUNTY HAVE BEEN TESTING IN THE WOODLANDS AND WOODLANDS AREA, AND WE HAD A GREAT TESTING PERIOD AT LONE STAR COLLEGE LAST WEEK.

IT WAS SHUT DOWN A LITTLE EARLY BECAUSE OF RAIN, BUT WE WERE APPROACHING 150 TESTS PER DAY AT THAT SITE AND THEY WERE VERY PLEASED, SO HOPEFULLY, COMMISSIONER JACK CAGLE WILL BRING BACK THAT MOBILE TESTING UNIT SOMEWHERE IN CRAGSIDE PARK IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

THAT'S OUR HOPE. IT WAS FREE AND VERY EASY TO ACCESS FOR EVERYONE WHO WISHED TO HAVE A TEST, AND YOU DIDN'T HAVE TO HAVE SYMPTOMS TO QUALIFY EITHER.

THEN THERE ARE OTHER MONTGOMERY COUNTY TESTING SITES GOING ON.

SOME YOU CAN HAVE FREE IF YOU GO THROUGH THE VOUCHER APPLICATION PROCESS, AND OTHERS YOU MAY HAVE TO PAY A COPAY IF YOU HAVE INSURANCE FOR THAT.

BUT THERE IS A FREE ACCESS IF YOU GO THROUGH THE VOUCHER APPLICATION SITE, WHICH IS AT THE MONTGOMERY COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT WEBSITE.

SO THAT'S NUMBER 1 ON TESTING.

NUMBER 2 IS THAT IF YOU HAVE A SEROLOGY TEST DONE, WHICH IS NOT TESTING FOR THE VIRUS BUT TESTING FOR ANTIBODIES, AND YOU ARE POSITIVE, CELEBRATE.

IT'S WONDERFUL. THAT MEANS, YOU HAVE SOME IMMUNITY TO THE VIRUS, AND ALSO, IT MEANS THAT YOU COULD BE A GREAT DONOR TO PROVIDE YOUR PLASMA FOR SOMEONE ELSE WHO HAS THE VIRUS.

SO I WOULD ENCOURAGE PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY MIGHT HAVE HAD COVID TO GO AHEAD AND HAVE THE ANTIBODIES TESTING DONE.

THE LAST POINT IS THAT DOCTORS' OFFICES, DENTISTS' OFFICES ARE OPEN, THEY'RE OPEN AGAIN, AND THEY'RE WELCOMING PATIENTS BACK.

I WOULD ENCOURAGE EVERYONE TO NOT BE AFRAID TO GO THERE USING MAXIMUM SAFETY PRECAUTIONS.

EVERYTHING IS CLEAN AS A WHISTLE IN THERE, AND THE HOSPITALS ARE OPEN AND HAVE, AS CHAIRMAN BUNCH POINTED OUT, EXCELLENT AVAILABILITY OF THEIR SERVICES.

THEY'RE NOT OVERCROWDED IN TERMS OF THEIR BEDS, AND PEOPLE WHO NEED THOSE SERVICES, WHETHER IT'S FOR A MATERNAL WELL-CHILD CHECK-UP, ALL OF THAT, IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS OF A HEART ATTACK, IF YOU HAVE SYMPTOMS OF A STROKE, DO NOT HESITATE TO CALL 911 AND GO IN.

IF YOU NEED JUST REGULAR CARE, GO TO YOUR DOCTOR.

[01:00:01]

DON'T HESITATE TO GO IN.

WE DON'T WANT PEOPLE TO BE SUFFERING AT HOME AND NOT GETTING THEIR NECESSARY CARE.

BECAUSE THOSE SERVICES ARE BACK UP AND RUNNING, AND WE WELCOME YOU WITH OPEN ARMS. THANK YOU, CHAIRMAN.

>> OKAY. ANN, I KNOW I DIDN'T HAVE A PRESENTATION FOR YOU TONIGHT, AND YOU WERE GOING TO GET ONE NEXT WEEK, BUT SINCE DR. SHELLEY GOT ONE.

>> THAT'S FINE. I KNOW WE HAVE A LOT TO COVER, BUT THANK YOU.

>> OKAY. I APPRECIATE THAT.

SO THERE'S NO ACTION LEFT TO TAKE ON AGENDA ITEM 7, SO WE NOW CAN GO TO AGENDA ITEM 8, WHICH IS RECEIVE, CONSIDER, AND ACT UPON A BOARD POLICY IN RELATION TO DIRECTOR REPLACEMENTS.

WE'RE GOING TO HAVE KAREN DEMPSEY PRESENT.

GO AHEAD.

>> THANK YOU.

RELATION TO DIRECTOR REPLACEMENT WAS REQUESTED BY DIRECTORS MILNER AND DIRECTOR SNYDER.

THE BOARD RECENTLY CONCLUDED THE PROCESS OF APPOINTING A DIRECTOR TO FILL A VACANCY.

THE TOWNSHIP'S ENABLING LEGISLATION THAT OUTLINES THE LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR FILLING A VACANCY ON THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS, WHICH ARE SPECIFICALLY NOTED AS A VACANCY IN THE OFFICE OF DIRECTOR, SHALL BE FILLED BY APPOINTMENT BY A QUALIFIED INDIVIDUAL BY A MAJORITY VOTE OF THE REMAINING DIRECTORS.

THE TOWNSHIP ENABLING LEGISLATION ONLY ALLOWS FOR THE VACANCY TO BE FILLED BY BOARD APPOINTMENT.

IT DOES NOT INCLUDE PROVISIONS FOR FILLING A VACANCY BY ELECTION.

THE ENABLING LEGISLATION ALSO DOES NOT PROVIDE A SPECIFIC PROCEDURE FOR NOMINATING AND SELECTING AN APPOINTEE TO FILL A BOARD VACANCY.

IT IS THEREFORE AT THE BOARD'S DISCRETION TO DETERMINE THE PROCESS FOR MAKING ANY APPOINTMENT.

TO PROVIDE A BRIEF HISTORY OF THE TWO MOST RECENT APPOINTMENTS, OR THE TWO MOST RECENT POTENTIAL OPENINGS ON THE BOARD, ASIDE FROM THIS ONE THAT WAS JUST APPOINTED, IN 2016, WE DID HAVE A DIRECTOR THAT RESIGNED FOLLOWING THE LOSS OF AN ELECTION.

WHEN HE DID NOT WIN HIS RE-ELECTION BID, HE SUBMITTED HIS RESIGNATION FROM THE BOARD EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY.

NO ACTION WAS TAKEN BECAUSE OF THE HOLDOVER OF OFFICE PROVISION AND THE SHORT TIME BETWEEN HIS RESIGNATION AND THE TIME THAT HIS REPLACEMENT WOULD BE SEATED.

HE WAS NOTED AS ABSENT FOR THE ONE MEETING THAT HE MISSED, BUT BECAUSE OF THE TIMING, HIS RESIGNATION ESSENTIALLY HAD NO EFFECT.

THE RESIGNATION-RESULTING VACANCY THAT OCCURRED PRIOR TO THAT WAS IN 2007, WHICH WAS A VACANCY FILLED IN 2008.

THIS WAS ONE WHERE IN LATE OCTOBER OF 2007, A DIRECTOR RESIGNED FROM THE BOARD.

HOWEVER, THE BOARD DID NOT CHOOSE TO FILL THE VACANCY UNTIL JUNE OF 2008.

THERE WERE A NUMBER OF FACTORS THAT WEIGHED IN TO THE TIMING AT THAT POINT.

FOR ANYONE WHO IS FAMILIAR WITH THE TOWNSHIP'S HISTORY AS ITS CURRENT GOVERNANCE FORM, THE WOODLANDS TOWNSHIP WAS CREATED IN PART THROUGH A VOTER REFERENDUM IN NOVEMBER OF 2007, SO WHEN THE VACANCY OCCURRED IN 2007, THE SAME ADVICE WAS GIVEN, WHICH IS THAT THE ENABLING LEGISLATION DID NOT PROVIDE THE POSSIBILITY OF AN ELECTION ONLY FOR THE BOARD TO APPOINT TO THAT PROCESS.

THE VOTERS DID APPROVE THE VOTER REFERENDUM'S PROPOSITIONS THAT PROVIDED THE ABILITY FOR THE TOWNSHIP TO EXPAND TO COVER THE ENTIRE WOODLANDS' IMPLEMENTED PROPERTY TAX, AND IMPLEMENT A ONE-CENT SALES TAX, AND THAT ALSO OUTLINED THE CHANGE FROM A COMBINATION OF ELECTED AND APPOINTED DIRECTORS TO COMMUNITY-WIDE RESIDENT-BASED ELECTION, WHICH WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE TOWNSHIP BOARD AS IT CURRENTLY EXISTS.

THE FIRST ELECTION FOR DIRECTORS WAS FOR FIVE DIRECTORS, AND THAT WAS HELD IN MAY OF 2008.

DURING THE TIME THE TCID, OR TOWNSHIP BOARD, HAD THE 2007 VACANCY OCCUR, THE TOWNSHIP BOARD, I'M GOING TO CALL IT THE TCID BOARD JUST TO TRY TO DIFFERENTIATE WHERE WE WERE, BUT THE TCID BOARD CHOSE TO REFER THE MATTER TO THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE.

[01:05:04]

THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE WAS MADE UP OF THE FOUR OFFICERS ON THE BOARD, AND THE FULL BOARD REFERRED TO THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE THE DECISION ON A NOMINATION.

THAT HAPPENED IN DECEMBER.

IN JANUARY, THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE CONSIDERED NOMINATIONS AND DECIDED TO DEFER UNTIL AFTER THE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATIONS COMPLETED THEIR FEBRUARY ELECTION PROCESS.

THE COMMUNITY ASSOCIATIONS, OF COURSE, ULTIMATELY WERE FOLDED INTO THE TOWNSHIP STRUCTURE, AND HELPED US BECOME WHAT WE ARE TODAY.

IN LATE FEBRUARY, FOLLOWING THOSE ELECTIONS, THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MET AGAIN AND CHOSE TO DEFER UNTIL AFTER THE TOWNSHIP BOARD ELECTION, RECOGNIZING THAT, AT THE POINT, IF THEY WAITED UNTIL AFTER THE MAY TOWNSHIP BOARD ELECTION, ANY FEEDBACK OR ANY DECISION THAT WOULD BE MADE WOULD BE MADE, AT LEAST IN PART, BY DIRECTORS WHO WERE SERVING ON FULLY ELECTED BASIS.

SO IN MAY OF 2008, THOSE FIVE FULLY RESIDENT ELECTED DIRECTORS WERE SEATED, AND IN JUNE, THE EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MADE A NOMINATION, AND THAT NOMINATION WAS APPOINTED TO THE TOWNSHIP BOARD.

BOTH OF THESE SITUATIONS, NOT FILLING THE VACANCY, FILLING IT AFTER AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, AND THEN THE BOARD'S MOST RECENT ELECTION TO FILL WITHIN A SHORT TIME FRAME, WERE ALL WITHIN THE PROVISIONS OF THE TOWNSHIP'S ENABLING LEGISLATION ALL AT THE BOARD'S DISCRETION.

BECAUSE THE THREE SITUATIONS ARE VERY DIFFERENT, THAT ACTUALLY SPEAKS TO WHY THERE ARE ADVANTAGES TO HAVING FLEXIBILITY IN THE PROCESS.

THIS AGENDA WAS PLACED ON TONIGHT'S MEETING AT THE REQUEST OF DIRECTOR MILNER AND DIRECTOR SNYDER.

BOTH HAD REQUESTED THAT WE DISCUSS PROCEDURES FOR FILLING VACANCIES TO INCREASE COMMUNITY INPUT.

TED ASKED THAT WE RESEARCH WHAT OTHER POLITICAL SUBDIVISIONS AND MUNICIPALITIES DO.

IN THE WOODLANDS, THE MUNICIPAL UTILITY DISTRICTS AND OTHER SPECIAL DISTRICT SUCH AS THE WOODLANDS ROAD UTILITY DISTRICT ALSO DO NOT HAVE A FORMAL WRITTEN PROCEDURAL OR PROCESS FOR FILLING VACANCIES.

THEY FOLLOW THEIR ENABLING LEGISLATION, AND THOSE ARE TAKEN ON A CASE-BY-CASE BASIS WITH THE DIFFERENT MONTHS, THEY HAVE HANDLED VACANCIES ENOUGH FULL RANGE OF WAYS.

THEY HAVE DONE ANYTHING FROM SIMPLY A NOMINATION AND APPOINTMENT PROCESS TO SOLICITING PUBLIC FEEDBACK IN PUBLIC NOMINATIONS IN ORDER TO FILL THAT PROCESS, BUT THAT, THEY DO NOT HAVE A WRITTEN POLICY ON THAT.

IN A REVIEW OF THE TOWNSHIPS BENCHMARK CITIES AS WELL AS THE CITY OF CAMERON FOR A LOCAL EXAMPLE, WHILE THEY MAY HAVE SOME WRITTEN INFORMATION IN THEIR CITY CHARTERS, THAT IS LARGELY ROOTED IN STATE STATUTES AND IN SOME CASES IS TIED TO THE LENGTH OF TERMS WHICH AGAIN, GETS INTO THIS STATE STATUE.

IT TENDS TO BE NOT ABOUT HOW THEY SELECT THE CANDIDATE, BUT WHETHER OR NOT THEY FILL THE VACANCY, AND BECAUSE THE CITIES SOMETIMES HAVE THE ABILITY TO HOLD A SPECIAL ELECTION TO FILL A VACANCY.

IF THE TOWNSHIP BOARD IS INTERESTED IN ESTABLISHING A FORMAL POLICY OR PROCEDURE RELATED TO FUTURE APPOINTMENTS TO FILL VACANCIES, IF YOU PROVIDE SOME SPECIFIC DIRECTION TO STAFF ON WHAT IT IS THAT YOU'RE LOOKING FOR, WE WILL BE HAPPY TO RETURN WITH THE DRAFT POLICY FOR CONSIDERATION.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT ANY POLICY OR PROCEDURES ADOPTED BY THIS BOARD WOULD NOT BE BINDING ON FUTURE BOARDS, OR EVEN THIS BOARD FOR THAT MATTER WHO MAY CHOOSE TO SUSPEND OR AMEND THE BATTLE SCENE THAT IS ESTABLISHED.

MANY FACTORS WEIGH INTO A FUTURE BOARD'S DECISION ON THE PROCESS.

FACTORS MAY INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO, THE TIMING OF THE VACANCY, THE CIRCUMSTANCES SURROUNDING THE VACANCY, AND THEN MAJOR COMMUNITY EVENTS, CHANGES OR CRISES.

>> ALL RIGHT, THAT WAS VERY THOROUGH INTRODUCTION.

>> CHAIRMAN BUNCH?

>> YES, SIR.

>> I ASKED, HAVE THIS BROUGHT TO THE DISCUSSION PROBABLY SEVERAL WEEKS AGO BECAUSE I GOT IT QUITE A BIT OF FEEDBACK FROM RESIDENTS ABOUT WHAT THEY SAW AS THE LACK OF RESONANT ENGAGEMENT AND DO A TRANSPARENCY IN THE PROCESS.

[01:10:05]

DURING THOSE CONVERSATIONS, I LISTENED, I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE SOMETHING GOOD FOR THE BOARD TO CONSIDER.

I THINK FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, ONE OF THE THINGS THAT I WOULD RECOMMEND THAT WE CONSIDER IS SOME TYPE OF PROCESS THAT MIGHT BE SIMILAR TO THE DSC NOMINATION PROCESS IN A WAY TO WHERE IF SOMEONE IS INTERESTED IN RUNNING FOR THE BOARD, WE PROVIDE A AVENUE FOR THEM TO BE ABLE TO STATE THAT THEY'RE INTERESTED.

I'M NOT SAYING THAT THEY DIDN'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO DO IT IN THE PAST, I JUST THINK THAT IF WE MAKE IT CLEAR THAT IF PEOPLE ARE INTERESTED THEY CAN MAIL IN OR E-MAIL IN THEIR INTEREST IN A WAY THAT WE COULD TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION, THAT WOULD BE SOMETHING I WOULD THROW OUT FOR DISCUSSION.

>> CHAIRMAN BUNCH, IF I MAY, SINCE I ALSO ASKED FOR IT TO BE ON THE AGENDA.

>> YES, PLEASE.

>> I KNOW THE ENABLING LEGISLATION ALLOWS US AS A BOARD TO APPOINT TAB A BOARD MEMBER.

WHAT WAS SURPRISING TO ME WAS THE QUICKNESS AND THE LACK OF DISCUSSION.

WHEN IT WAS LISTED AS AN AGENDA ITEM, I CALLED MR. NORRELL AND I ASKED HIM ABOUT THE PROCESS AND IF WE WERE GOING TO DISCUSS AND THINGS LIKE THAT.

WOULD NOT HAVE KNOWN THAT EVEN THE POSSIBILITY OF VOTING THAT EVENING WAS AN OPTION EVEN THOUGH IT WAS WORDED THAT WE COULD VOTE UNTIL MR. NORRELL SAID TO ME THAT HAD ALSO WAS WORDED SO THAT WE COULD VOTE ON AND WHAT I FOUND DISCERNING WAS THE FACT THERE WAS NO DISCUSSION, WHEN WE FIRST AGENDA ITEM PRIOR TO, THERE WAS ONE ON THE DSC AND THEN ELECTING BOB MILNER TO THE ROD WHICH WE HAD ALREADY DISCUSSED, AND THEN THE REPLACEMENT FOR DIRECTOR BONIFACE'S POSITION.

WHEN I MENTIONED THE DSC AND THEN SAID A NAME AND THEN DEFERRED AND SAID PERHAPS JOHN ANTHONY BROWN SINCE HE SERVES ON THE DSC, MY COMMENT, THERE WAS NO DISCUSSION.

THEN WHEN IT CAME UP TO THE POSITIONS ON THE BOARD, WE'RE TOLD TO SEND IN OUR VOTE FOR ONE I JUST THINK, TO ME, IT DID NOT ALLOW FOR TRANSPARENCY.

IT DID NOT ALLOW FOR ANY TYPE OF DISCUSSION.

I APOLOGIZE, JASON, I SHARED WITH YOU THE OTHER MORNING, IT'S NOT YOU.

IT WAS JUST, I'VE NEVER BEEN PART OF A BOARD THAT HAS THE ONLY REASON I SOMEWHAT KNEW THAT PERHAPS WE MIGHT WAS THE COMMENT FROM MR. NORRELL WHEN I CALLED AND ASKED HIM TO EXPLAIN THAT AGENDA ITEM, BUT ALSO ON SATURDAY'S PAPER, DIRECTOR BONIFACE, I BELIEVE IT'S A THURSDAY AND SATURDAY'S CAREER ONLINE.

THE LAST STATEMENT WAS FROM CHAIRMAN BUNCH THAT WE WANT TO FILL IT QUICKLY, WHICH WAS UNDERSTANDABLE, BUT I THOUGHT IT WOULD AT LEAST BE A NOMINATION.

WE TALKED ABOUT IT, AND THEN THE NEXT WEEK, IT CONCERNED ME AND I DON'T THINK IT WAS AS TRANSPARENT AS THIS COURT HAS PRIDED ITSELF ON EVERYTHING THAT WE'VE DONE.

CONSEQUENTLY, SUBSEQUENTLY, I SHARED WITH MR. NORRELL THAT I FELT THAT IT WAS SOMETHING THAT WE NEEDED TO ADDRESS AND ALSO SHARE THAT WITH YOU, CHAIRMAN BUNCH, THE NEXT DAY.

>> I LOOKED AT IT, I WENT BACK AND WATCHED THE MEETING.

LIKE EVERY MEETING WE HAVE, THERE'S SEVEN DIRECTORS THAT HAVE THE ABILITY TO REQUEST DISCUSSION OR INTERVENE IN ANY AGENDA ITEM PRIOR TO ITS CONCLUSION.

THE WORD TRANSPARENCY, I THINK IT'S GETTING THROWN AROUND VERY LOOSELY.

DIRECTOR BONIFACE VERY PUBLICLY RESIGNED IN THE MIDDLE OF A PUBLIC MEETING.

[01:15:06]

IT WAS IN THE NEWSPAPER THE VERY NEXT DAY.

THE VERY NEXT DAY, DON SENT TO THE BOARD A NOTE THAT IT'S A BOARD APPOINTED REPLACEMENT.

THE PAPER DID. I MEAN, JEFF FORD CALLED ME AND SAID, "HOW'S THE AGENDA ITEM AGENDA?" I SAID, "IT ALLOWS FOR ALL THESE THINGS, WHICH WOULD INCLUDE THE ABILITY TO APPOINT IF THERE'S A BOARD CONSENSUS." SO I WAS A LITTLE SURPRISED WHERE YOU WERE SURPRISED THAT THERE WAS A POTENTIAL VOTE GIVEN THAT DON MENTIONED THAT IT'S AGENDAD WITH THAT POTENTIAL.

THE FACT IS, THE PUBLIC DID SUBMIT NOMINATIONS.

I HAD SEVERAL PEOPLE SUBMIT THEMSELVES TO ME, AND THOSE WERE PEOPLE WHO WERE PRIOR CANDIDATES OR PEOPLE IN THE COMMUNITY THAT HAD AN INTEREST IN BEING APPOINTED AS WELL AS THE NOMINATIONS THAT WERE APPOINTED BY FIVE OF THE SIX REMAINING DIRECTORS.

THE FACT THAT THERE WAS NO DISCUSSION OR NOBODY MUTED ANYBODY.

>> BUT I'VE TRIED TO DISCUSS I DON'T THINK IT'S THE

>> I'M NOT HEARING PEOPLE COMPLAINING ABOUT OUR DSC PROCESS, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT THIS ONE VERY SPECIFICALLY, AND THIS ONE VERY SPECIFICALLY, NOT A SINGLE DIRECTOR UTTERED A SINGLE WORD, AND FIVE OF THE SIX OF US NOMINATE PEOPLE AND ALL OF US VOTED.

I UNDERSTAND THAT AFTER THE FACT EVERYBODY IS UPSET ABOUT THE PROCESS, BUT WE FOLLOWED THE PROCESS EXACTLY AS OUTLINED.

WE HAD NOMINATIONS AND WE HAD A WRITTEN VALID VOTE.

I KNOW THIS AGENDA ITEM IS ABOUT GOING FORWARD. DON WILL TELL YOU.

I DIDN'T HAVE ANY PRE-DETERMINED AGENDA THAT IT HAD TO BE VOTED ON THAT NIGHT.

TO THE STAFF I SAY, "LOOK, IF YOU GUYS HAVE OTHER SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS, I'M COMPLETELY OPEN TO IT."

>> BUT YOU CALLED FOR THE VOTE IMMEDIATELY ON THAT AGENDA ITEM AND THAT'S

>> DR. SNYDER, WITH ALL DUE RESPECT, WE HAVE MOTIONS IN SECONDS AND DISCUSSION ALL THE TIME.

EVERY PERSON ON THIS BOARD IS NOT EXACTLY SHY.

IF THERE HAD BEEN SERIOUS CONCERN, ANYBODY COULD HAVE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT NOT FEELING COMFORTABLE WITH PRESENTING A VOTE.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN TOTALLY FINE WITH ME TO DEFER ANOTHER WEEK AND HAVE MORE DISCUSSION, BUT NONE WAS HAD.

ACTUALLY, NOBODY CONTACTED ME ASKING ME ANYTHING ABOUT THE AGENDA.

I HAD A CONVERSATION WITH DON.

DON SHARED THAT INFORMATION WITH THE FULL BOARD, AND WE WENT FORWARD AS IS.

IF THERE WAS A BIG ISSUE, WE WOULDN'T HAVE FIVE OUT OF SIX DIRECTORS SUBMITTING NOMINATIONS.

WE WOULD HAD OTHER QUESTIONS RAISED.

THIS FORMAT IS NOT EXACTLY PERFECT BECAUSE WE'RE ALL IN DIFFERENT PLACES, BUT TO SAY THAT YOU DIDN'T HAVE AN OPPORTUNITY TO SPEAK IS INFACTUAL.

EVERYBODY SPEAKS ALL THE TIME.

PEOPLE ARE INTERRUPTED ALL THE TIME.

I THINK WE HAVE TO LOOK AT THIS AS GOING FORWARD.

IF WE WANT TO DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT GOING FORWARD, IT'S FINE.

BUT IT'S ALSO CRITICAL TO UNDERSTAND WHAT KAREN WAS SAYING.

THREE DIFFERENT RESIGNATION, THREE DIFFERENT TIME PERIODS, THREE DIFFERENT UNIQUE CIRCUMSTANCES, ALL WOULD HAD A DIFFERENT PROCESS NECESSARY.

WITH REGARD TO THE FIRST ONE, NOT APPOINTING SOMEBODY FOR SEVEN MONTHS, IS THAT ABOUT RIGHT KAREN? THAT'S A LONG PERIOD OF TIME NOT TO HAVE A REPRESENTATIVE.

THERE'S THE SECOND ONE, DIRECTOR BASS WHEN HE RESIGNED, IT WAS THREE WEEKS BEFORE HIS REPLACEMENT WAS GOING TO BE SEATED.

I WENT BACK AND LOOKED AT THAT.

HIS RESIGNATION WASN'T SIGNED.

NOW, I REMEMBER EVERYBODY COMING OUT COMPLAINING THAT HIS RESIGNATION WAS INVALID BECAUSE HE DIDN'T SIGN IT BACK IN 2016, BUT THAT'S WHY WE ENDED UP WITH THIS STUFF.

DIRECTOR BONIFACE'S VERY PUBLIC RESIGNATION DOESN'T COUNT BECAUSE HE DIDN'T SIGN IT OR HE DIDN'T SUBMIT IT PROPERLY, BUT HE DID IT VERY PUBLICLY IN THE MIDDLE OF AN ACTIVE BOARD MEETING.

IT'S ALL GOOD BUT AS WE GO FORWARD, WHAT CIRCUMSTANCES ARE WE GOING TO BE IN IF THERE'S EVER ANOTHER RESIGNATION? IN THIS PARTICULAR INSTANCE, WE'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF A PANDEMIC.

I DON'T THINK A SINGLE ONE OF US WAS ALIVE DURING THE SPANISH FLU.

NOW WE'RE DOING VIRTUAL MEETINGS, WHICH IS COMPLETELY OUTSIDE THE NORM.

IF WE HAD EVERYBODY IN THE ROOM AND DIRECTOR BONIFACE WAS IN THE ROOM WHEN HE RESIGNED, THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN STAFF INTERACTION WITH HIM AND THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN MORE STAFF INTERACTION WITH THE FULL BOARD TO UNDERSTAND, "OKAY, WHAT'S NEXT?" THAT'S NOT THE WORLD WE'RE LIVING IN RIGHT NOW.

[01:20:02]

IF YOU LOOK AT IT, EVERYBODY'S IN A DIFFERENT PLACE TODAY.

SO WHAT DO WE HAVE THAT MADE REPLACING DIRECTOR BONIFACE MORE URGENT THAN BACK IN 2008? WE ARE ADVANCING OUR BUDGET TIMELINE AND TAKING ACTION ON IT SIGNIFICANTLY SOONER THAN WE USUALLY DO.

WE'RE ALSO TRYING TO HIRE ANOTHER REPLACEMENT FOR DON NORRELL.

THOSE INTERVIEWS BEGAN THE VERY NEXT WEEK AFTER DIRECTOR NELSON WAS APPOINTED.

THERE WERE REASONS TO GET SOMEBODY APPOINTED TO THIS POSITION IN THE TIMETABLE WE ACTUALLY EXECUTED ON.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN JUST AS FINE IF ANY OF THE OTHER SIX DIRECTORS WOULD HAVE RAISED THEIR HAND, OR I GUESS FIVE OF US, WOULD'VE RAISED THEIR HAND AND ASKED FOR ADDITIONAL TIME, IT WOULD HAVE BEEN GRANTED.

BUT AFTER THE FACT, I DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO MUTE YOU GUYS.

EVERYBODY HAS AN EQUAL VOTE ON THIS BOARD AND NOT A SINGLE DIRECTOR, INCLUDING YOU, DR. SNYDER, SAID A WORD DURING THAT AGENDA ITEM.

>> I'VE GOT A COUPLE OF QUESTIONS THAT WE CAN TALK ABOUT.

WHEN YOU TALK ABOUT A QUALIFIED CANDIDATE, WE'RE TALKING ABOUT SOMEBODY WHO MEETS THE RESIDENCY REQUIREMENTS FOR A SEAT ON THE BOARD; IS THAT NOT CORRECT?

>> YES, SIR.

>> IS IT NOT ALSO CORRECT THAT THE MAGISTRIXS AT LEAST WITHIN MONTGOMERY COUNTY, DO HAVE LANGUAGE FROM THE TECQ THAT SPECIFICALLY PROHIBITS THE APPOINTMENT OF A DIRECTOR WHO FAILED IN THE PREVIOUS TWO ELECTION CYCLES TO BE VOTED ON TO THE BOARD; IS THAT NOT TRUE?

>> THAT IS TRUE.

>> WELL, I THINK MORE IMPORTANTLY THAN ANYTHING ELSE IS YOUR STATEMENT INITIALLY THAT NO MATTER WHAT WE DO, WE CANNOT BIND A FUTURE BOARD TO ANY OF THESE REGULATIONS.

IT IS MY VIEW THAT WHILE THERE ARE PEOPLE THAT HAVE AN OPINION THAT IT WENT VERY QUICKLY, THE FACT IS THAT THIS IS NOT LIKE A DSC APPOINTMENT WHICH ALSO, CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, KAREN, THE PROCEDURES THAT WE HAVE FOR DSC ELECTIONS ARE TRADITIONAL BUT DON'T YOU ALWAYS WANTS EVERY YEAR THAT WE COULD CHANGE THE PROCEDURE, IF WE SO CHOSE TO DO SO?

>> YES, SIR.

>> SO ESSENTIALLY, WHAT WE HAVE HERE IS, UNDER OUR ENABLING LEGISLATION, THE BOARD HAS THE SOLE AUTHORITY TO APPOINT ANOTHER DIRECTOR.

I'M NOT REALLY WILLING TO BIND FUTURE BOARDS TO ANY SORT OF RESTRICTIONS IN THIS POLICY. THIS IS DONE.

WE'RE NOT GOING TO UNDO IT.

I'M VERY RETICENT AND PLUS THE FACT, NO OFFENSE TO THE CANDIDATES THAT APPLY FOR THE DSC, BUT I DON'T THINK THAT THEY HAD THE STATURE IN THE COMMUNITY AND KNOWLEDGE AND THE FAMILIARITY WITH THE BOARD MEMBERS THAT WALT LISIEWSKI, PEGGY HAUSMAN, AND JASON NELSON HAD WITH THIS BOARD.

ALL THREE OF THOSE PEOPLE WERE WELL KNOWN BY EVERY ONE OF OUR BOARD MEMBERS.

SO I WASN'T REALLY SURPRISED, FRANKLY, IN THE END THAT THERE WASN'T A LOT OF DISCUSSION.

PEOPLE KNEW WHO THEY WERE.

PEGGY IS A LEGEND IN THE COMMUNITY, HAD BEEN ON THE BOARD FOR MANY, MANY YEARS AND THE HOMEOWNER ASSOCIATION BEFORE.

EVERYBODY KNOWS WALT, WHO HAS DONE GOOD WORK ON THE DSC, AND HE'S A GREAT GUY BUT HE ALSO RAN FOR A SEAT IN LAST NOVEMBER'S ELECTION AND WAS UNSUCCESSFUL.

JASON NELSON IS WELL KNOWN TO EVERY MEMBER OF THE BOARD.

SO I'M NOT REALLY SURPRISED THAT THERE WASN'T THAT OR I NEED YOU TO GET UP AND DO THREE MINUTES ON WHO YOU ARE AND WHY YOU WANT TO BE ON THE BOARD.

THIS IS A BOARD DECISION AND PEOPLE MAY SAY, "WELL, I'D LIKE TO HAVE MORE TRANSPARENCY." BUT THE FACT IS THAT THAT WORD IS HANDED OVER TO THE BOARD MEMBERS WHEN THEY ARE ELECTED.

IT'S LIKE ANY OTHER POLICY ISSUE THAT WE ACT ON AS A BOARD.

YES, OF COURSE, WE'LL LISTEN TO PUBLIC INPUT BUT IN THE END, IT'S OUR DECISION TO MAKE AND WE VOTE OUR CONSCIENCE ONE WAY OR THE OTHER.

I THINK THIS IS EXACTLY THE SAME SITUATION THAT HAPPENED HERE.

WHILE I CAN SAY THAT I UNDERSTAND SOME PEOPLE BEING UPSET ABOUT IT, IT WAS CERTAINLY DONE IN A COMPLETELY LAWFUL WAY.

[01:25:03]

WE NEED TO MOVE ON FROM THIS.

I WASN'T PREPARED TO CHAIRMAN BUNCH'S POINT.

I WAS NOT PREPARED TO GO FORWARD, ESPECIALLY AT A BUDGET SEASON WITH A SIX-PERSON BOARD.

YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO THE REGULATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS ON SETTING TAX RATES THAT IN CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, WE HAVE TO HAVE A SUPER MAJORITY OF THE BOARD.

IF YOU ONLY HAVE SIX BOARD MEMBERS, YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE FIVE PEOPLE VOTE TO TAKE YOUR RATE BEYOND A CERTAIN THRESHOLD.

THAT'S NOT APPROPRIATE.

WE'VE GOT SO MUCH STUFF GOING ON AND THERE ARE SO MANY THINGS THAT WE'RE DOING IN THE BACKGROUND, WE NEED A FULL BOARD.

I ACTUALLY WANT TO COMMEND BRIAN BECAUSE BRIAN WASN'T FORCED TO RESIGN.

HE DECIDED TO RESIGN BECAUSE HE SAW THE SAME ISSUES THAT THE MAJORITY OF US ON THE BOARD SAW, WHICH IS WE NEED A FULL BOARD TO GO FORWARD AND TO DO THE BUSINESS OF THE TOWNSHIP AND TO MAKE SURE THAT WE COVER ALL THE BASES AND GET STUFF DONE.

SO I PERSONALLY THINK THAT TO SPEND A LOT OF TIME DEVELOPING A PROCESS HERE IS WE CAN MAKE SOME RECOMMENDATIONS THAT MAYBE THE TECQ LANGUAGE COULD BE USED AS A GUIDELINE THAT WE HAVE A TWO-WEEK PERIOD OF PUBLIC COMMENT.

ALL THOSE THINGS ARE RECOMMENDATIONS, BUT I DON'T WANT TO DO ANYTHING BINDING BECAUSE NOTHING IS BINDING.

IT WOULD ONLY BE BINDING ON THIS BOARD FOR THE NEXT FIVE OR SIX MONTHS; IS THAT NOT CORRECT?

>> I DON'T THINK. IT WOULD ONLY BE BINDING FOR THE BOARD AND THE IMMEDIACY.

AT ANY TIME WE CAN IGNORE OUR OWN POLICIES.

>> THERE YOU GO. I SEE NO REAL USE IN SPENDING A TON OF TIME ON THIS.

WE ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SOME PEOPLE THINK THAT WE COULD HAVE DONE A BETTER JOB OF BEING MORE TRANSPARENT BUT IN THE END, THE APPOINTMENT WAS DONE WITHIN THE LAW AND THE RULES GOVERNING IT UNDER OUR ENABLING LEGISLATION.

OKAY. FAIR ENOUGH.

IT'S TIME TO AGREE TO DISAGREE AND MOVE ON.

>> THAT'S FOUR OF US. ANYONE ELSE WANT TO WEIGH IN?

>> CHAIRMAN BUNCH, MY THOUGHTS, SIR, IS THAT, I ALWAYS LOOK AT WHAT WOULD HAPPEN EVEN IF WE HAD THE DISCUSSION AND BE QUITE FRANKLY, I DON'T THINK IT WOULD HAVE CHANGED ANYTHING ANYWAY.

SO MOVING FORWARD, I DON'T LIKE TO LOOK BACKWARDS.

SO MOVING FORWARD, YOU HAD TO BE NICE TO COLLECTIVELY, AT SOME POINT, HAVE MORE OF A DISCUSSION.

BUT HONESTLY, WE COULD HAVE TWO-WEEK PROCESS, WE COULD HAVE TALKED ABOUT IT FOR THREE HOURS.

I ULTIMATELY BELIEVE A VOTE IS A VOTE.

WE VOTED AND MAJORITY WON AND THAT'S JUST THE WAY IT IS AND WE MOVE FORWARD.

>> DR. SHELLEY, I THINK YOU WERE SAYING SOMETHING,.

>> WELL, I WANT TO SUPPORT THE COMMENTS OF DIRECTOR RIESER, AS WELL AS YOU, CHAIRMAN.

I THINK YOU HIT ALL THE RIGHT NOTES THAT I WOULD REITERATE AND ALSO TO SAY THANK YOU TO KAREN, THAT WAS AN OUTSTANDING SUMMATION OF THE HISTORY OF RESIGNATIONS THROUGHOUT THE LEGACY OF THE TOWNSHIP AND VERY COGENTLY PRESENTED.

I THINK YOU MADE ALL THE RIGHT POINTS IN TERMS OF US LEAVING THINGS AS IS AND NOT FIXING SOMETHING THAT IS NOT BROKEN. THANKS.

>> OKAY. SO DO WE HAVE, I GUESS, A CONSENSUS OF MOVING FORWARD? IF I TAKE JOHN'S COMMENTS, RIESER'S COMMENTS, MY COMMENTS, AND DR. GIBBS' COMMENTS.

I DO CERTAINLY KNOW THAT IN A ALTERNATE TIME PERIOD WHERE WE WEREN'T MEETING REMOTELY, WE ARE ALL PHYSICALLY PRESENT IN THE SAME ROOM.

WE LIKELY WOULD HAVE HAD A DIFFERENT FEELING OF THE OUTCOME OR A FEELING OF THE PROCESS.

I'M ALWAYS OPEN TO EVERYBODY'S SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS WHEN IT WAS ASKED TO ME, IT WAS THE PROCESS.

I SAID, "WHATEVER THE PROCESS IS, WHATEVER YOU TELL US THE PROCESS IS AND WHAT WE WENT THROUGH IS WHAT OUR STAFF ADVISE THE PROCESSES." I THINK FUTURE BOARDS MAY NEVER HAVE TO DEAL WITH A RESIGNATION.

BUT IF WE JUST ADD THREE LIVING EXAMPLES OF

[01:30:01]

THREE DIFFERENT REASONS WHY IT'S A FIXED PROCESS, MAYBE DOESN'T WORK WELL.

BECAUSE THREE DIFFERENT CIRCUMSTANCES, THAT'S THREE DIFFERENT OUTCOMES.

THE ONLY THING THAT WOULD EVER BE BINDING WOULD BE ALTERING OR ENABLING LEGISLATION WHICH I DON'T THINK WE WOULD GO OUT AND ASK THAT TO BE DONE FOR THIS PARTICULAR ISSUE.

ANY OTHER COMMENT, DISCUSSION?

>> ONE OTHER COMMENT. WHEN WE LOOK AT AN ELECTED OFFICIAL AND AN APPOINTED OFFICIAL, YOU COULD BE APPOINTED FOR SIX MONTHS, YOU COULD BE APPOINTED FOR TWO MONTHS.

WHEREAS ULTIMATELY IN NOVEMBER, THE ELECTION WILL HAPPEN AND WE WILL ACTUALLY HAVE, SOMEBODY OF THE PEOPLE ACTUALLY VOTED FOR.

THE APPOINTMENT PROCESS IS A TEMPORARY PROCESS.

ULTIMATELY, WHOEVER GETS ELECTED OR GETS APPOINTED STILL WILL HAVE TO COME ELECTION TIME

>> IF THERE IS NO ACTION TO TAKE, WE CAN GO TO AGENDA ITEM 10,

[10. Receive, consider and act upon an update on The Woodlands Fire Station No. 5 (as requested by Director Snyder);]

WHICH WOULD BE RECEIVE, CONSIDER AND ACT UPON AN UPDATE FROM THE WOMEN'S FIRE STATION NUMBER FIVE.

>> GOOD EVENING, CHAIRMAN AND DIRECTORS.

MANY OF YOU KNOW, WE GOT THE CONTRACT WITH CONSULTING WORK AND GIVE US DIRECTION ON FIRE STATION 5 AND STATION 3 FOR AN EMERGENCY TRAININGS.

SO SPECIFICALLY THE STATION 5 THOUGH, WORK HAS ALREADY BEGUN TO ASSESS THE STATION AND ITS VIABILITY.

IN FACT, JUST YESTERDAY, CORE SAMPLES WERE TAKEN AND ARE BEING EXAMINED IN THE LAB. WE'RE STILL PROBABLY 60 DAYS AWAY FROM HAVING ANY DEFINITIVE ANSWERS, BUT THE WORK IS ONGOING.

>> DR. SNYDER, YOU HAVE SOME FOLLOW-UP QUESTIONS FOR HIM?

>> NO, I JUST WANTED AN UPDATE WHERE WE ARE.

CHAIRMAN BUNCH, THANK YOU FOR ASKING.

>> CHIEF, YOU SAID YOU GUYS HAD SOME BORING HOLES DRILLED? WAS THAT ON THIS LAB OR ARE IN THE SUB-GRADE?

>> BOTH. BUT IN THIS LAB, WE HAD A COUPLE OF AREAS THAT WERE IN THE STATION THAT WE WERE ABLE TO DRILL THROUGH WITHOUT MAKING TOO MUCH WORSE OFF AT THE STATION OR

>> OKAY. YOU THINK A MONTH OR TWO BEFORE WE GET THE RESULTS?

>> WE HAVEN'T DEFINITIVE UP AND DOWN OR WHAT

>> OKAY. IF THERE'S NO ACTION TO TAKE, WE THANK YOU FOR THE UPDATE OR IF WE WANT TO HAVE A MOTION TO ACCEPT THE UPDATE?

>> SO MOVED.

>> DO WE HAVE A SECOND?

>> SECOND.

>> RIGHT. ALL IN FAVOR OF ACCEPTING THE UPDATE, SAY "AYE."

>> AYE.

>> ALL RIGHT, THAT MOTION WILL CARRY.

THANK YOU, CHIEF. THANK YOU, DR. SNYDER.

OKAY. WE ARE ONTO AGENDA ITEM 11,

[11. Recess to Executive Session to discuss matters relating to real property pursuant to §551.072, Texas Government Code; deliberation of economic development negotiations pursuant to §551.087, Texas Government Code; discuss personnel matters pursuant to §551.074, Texas Government Code; discuss IT network or critical infrastructure security pursuant to §551.089, Texas Government Code; and to consult with The Woodlands Township’s attorney pursuant to §551.071, Texas Government Code;]

WHICH IS GOING TO REQUIRE THE BOARD TO MUTE AND TURN OFF YOUR CAMERA ON THIS ZOOM AND THEN YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO LOG INTO A TEAMS MEETING IN ORDER FOR US TO DO EXECUTIVE SESSION YOU CAN DISCONNECT FROM THIS IN ORDER TO LOGIN TO THE TEAMS MEETING FOR EXECUTIVE SESSION.

WHERE THERE SOME OTHER QUESTIONS BEFORE I GO INTO MY SCRIPTS?

>> I DID SEE THE E-MAIL FROM KAREN.

IT SAID, "CALL-IN NUMBER, KAREN."

>> IT IS A CALL-IN NUMBER THAT SHE'S GOING TO SEND OUT TO THE BOARD.

SO IT'S ON TOP OF YOUR E-MAIL. WE ARE GOING TO

>> OKAY. KAREN, IS IT A VIDEO CONFERENCE OR IS IT A PHONE CONFERENCE?

>> IT CAN BE EITHER. YOU CAN USE VIDEO OR YOU CAN JUST CALL INTO THE CALL-IN NUMBER.

>> IS IT A MICROSOFT TEAMS MEETING OR WHAT? GORDY?

>> YES, IT'S A TEAMS MEETING.

BUT TEAMS ALSO HAS DIAL IN

>> I KNOW THAT. BUT WHAT I'M SAYING IS, YOU CAN ACTUALLY MINIMIZE YOUR ZOOM AND GO TO THE TEAMS MEETING.

AS LONG AS WE SHUT IT OFF, IT'S OKAY BECAUSE YOU MIGHT HAVE SOME PROBLEMS SIGNING BACK INTO THE ZOOM MEETING AFTER IT'S OVER, IF WE GET OFF.

>> YOU'RE RIGHT.

>> KAREN'S CONCERN IS THIS ONE'S GOING TO CONTINUE TO BE STREAMING LIVE. IT DOESN'T TURN OFF.

>> OKAY. SO WHAT DO YOU WANT US TO DO?

>> JUST TO CALL IN ON THE TEAMS INVITE IS THE RECOMMENDATION.

>> OKAY.

>> OKAY.

>> STOP THE VIDEO AND MUTE.

>> THERE YOU GO. I'M GOING TO HIT MY LITTLE THING.

REED, WE ARE GOING TO RECESS TO EXECUTIVE SESSION TO DISCUSS MATTERS RELATING TO

[01:35:01]

REAL PROPERTY PERSUADING TO 551.072.

TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE, DELIBERATION OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT NEGOTIATIONS PERSUADING TO 551.087.

TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE DISCUSS PERSONAL MATTERS PERSUADING TO 551.074.

TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE DISCUSS IT NETWORK WERE CRITICAL INFRASTRUCTURE SECURITY PERSUADING TO 551.089 TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE AND TO CONSULT WITH THE WOODLANDS TOWNSHIP ATTORNEY PERSUADING TO 551.071 TEXAS GOVERNMENT CODE. WE ARE RECESSED.

>>

[12. Reconvene in public session; ]

THERE'S NO ACTION TO TAKE COMING OUT OF EXECUTIVE SESSION.

DO WE HAVE ANY CONSIDERATIONS FOR OUR NEXT MONTH'S BOARD MEETING? ANY AGENDA ITEMS? IF THERE ARE NONE, YOU CAN ALWAYS SUBMIT TO OUR GENERAL MANAGER. ANY BOARD ANNOUNCEMENTS?

[14. Board announcements; and]

>> YES. GORDY, I THINK TODAY THE WORLD TRIATHLON CORPORATION ANNOUNCED THAT THE WOODLANDS TRIATHLON WOULD BE CANCELED FOR THIS YEAR AND HAS BEEN AMALGAMATED INTO THE RACE UP IN WACO.

WE'RE REALLY EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE THAT WE HAVE SIGNED A FIVE YEAR DEAL TO BRING THEM BACK TO THE WOODLANDS IN 2021 THROUGH 2025.

>> IT'S GOOD NEWS. WE CAN CERTAINLY USE SOME ECONOMIC STIMULUS NEXT YEAR, ASSUMING WE'RE ABLE TO GATHER AGAIN.

>> AMEN.

>> ANY OTHER BOARD ANNOUNCEMENTS? ALL RIGHT. IF NONE, THEN DO WE HAVE A MOTION TO ADJOURN?

>> SO MOVED.

>> SECOND.

>> ALL RIGHT. ALL IN FAVOR OF ADJOURNMENT, SAY "AYE."

>> AYE.

>> AYE.

>> ALL RIGHT. ANYBODY NOT WANT TO ADJOURN? ALL RIGHT. WE ARE ADJOURNED.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION TONIGHT. WE'LL SEE YOU ALL LATER.

* This transcript was compiled from uncorrected Closed Captioning.